USB device not recognized + unknown device

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell notebook, with what I believe is a USB 1.1 port on it. I recently bought a Microsoft wireless notebook optical mouse. There is no installation CD with it, you are just supposed to plug it in and it should work. Well when I do that, I get an error comes up saying USB device not recognized. When I look at the properties it says "no drivers are installed for this device", and I have the device usage as enabled. I've tried updating the driver and it says I have the most recent updates installed. It comes up as an unknown device as well.

Other things like my printer work in this USB port, so I don't think the port itself is defective. I also plugged the mouse into another computer and it works with no problems. I am running on XP with SP2 installed.

The product specs say it should work on USB 1.1 or 2.0, so I don't think that is the problem either. Any ideas? I've gone through all of the troubleshooting with no luck.

are you plugging in the mouse AFTER the computr is booted? have you tried booting up with the device allready plugged in?

Ok is this being plugged in directly to the laptop usb port or thru a usb hub?

I have only one USB port on my laptop, and it is plugged directly into it. It just doesn't make sense b/c things like my printer works through it.

if that is the case then I would suspect that the optical mouse is defective and it is the source of the problem.

Well thats what I originally thought as well, but I tested it on another laptop and it works there, so I don't think its the mouse. But I've been having the same problem with plugging my IPod in as well.

I'm welcome to any other suggestions...

it is possible that the usb controller on the mobo is going bad they can often exhibit intermitent problems before they fail altogether. but if that were the case I would think that you would receive the same message at some point when you hooked hte printer into the port and you havnt had any problem with that.

the only other thing I can think of is to try and run system file checker to see if any system files are damged or missing. us an XP disk and open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow system file checker will examine your system files and repair or replace any mussing or damaged ones.

To bad you only have one USB port. Just a little input. I have a USB Network Adapter that is "supposed" to work with XP as well. Which it does. But very often when I plug it in the first time, XP says it can't load it and shows unknown device. But I just unplug it and plug back in a different USB port, then XP finishes loading it just fine.

But since you only have one port, that's a tough one. Are you using a user account with administrator privileges?

Since it happens with your ipod as well, I can only think that maybe some other program or driver has the USB locked in some way where Windows only expects certain hardware? But that's pretty far fetched.

You could try unplugging it, go in Device Manager and click one of the menus and check Show Hidden Devices. Then check for your mouse in the list and delete it. Then try plugging it in again.

good luck

I've got the same problem man. I have an older USB port and I plug in my MS optical mouse. The mouse has been working for quite some time just fine, and this is a fairly new development. Now, when I turn on the laptop, it works for a while, then it suddenly lets me know that the USB device is no longer recognized. I even have a USB 2.0 adapter which will give me the same results with the mouse. I have other devices which work fine through all of my USB ports. I'm looking for the cure too man!

-Ethel

Ethel, I have the exact same problem on my IBM T30. It worked perfectly for about a week, then suddenly it would only work for a couple of minutes after I would power the laptop on. Have you found a solution?

Yeah that didn't fix it for me. I've restarted, shutdown, unplugged, disected, and even kicked my comp at least a dozen times trying to resolve my USB problems, and I assure you its not static electricity. I have a similar problem as those described above... I have an nForce4 Intel SLI board running XP SP2. Older USB devices work just fine, but newer devices like cameras and all-in-ones won't work properly. XP recognizes them "Found New Hardware", but can't install the drivers for them properly. If I install the drivers myself (i.e. supplied disc rather than the Found New Hardware Wizard) the devices simply don't work correctly, even though XP sees them just fine. I assume its just a USB 2.0 problem, but I don't know. I've tried all sorts of fixes, including updating mobo drivers, trying alternative USB drivers, flashing my BIOS, reassigning shared IRQ's, and even buying a PCI/USB hub (it gives me the same problem regardless of which 1 of 14 ports I plug it into).

I've been all over the damn internet trying to fix this, but the only fix I've found so far is a clean XP install. No thanks.

Solution for Dell laptop unknown device for Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse

I had the same issue and reinstalling the software did not fix the problem.

-plugged the USB wireless connector
-plugged it
-uninstalled the driver
-then selected to install and chose to select from a list of items.
-Then Select USB device -USB Root HUB

and it is working again!!!

Attachments

• MSWirelessOpticalMouse.jpeg
    MSWirelessOpticalMouse.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 17
I can’t offer a fix for your specific USB problem but I can offer some freeware tools I find very helpful troubleshooting USB (and other) device problems.
  • USBDeview - Provides extended info for each USB device currently (or recently) connected. (Check Connected flag in output to see if is a currently connected device)
  • USBView – Also provides USB device info (including hierachical relationship between USB devices)
  • DriverView - Provides detailed list of each driver file installed
  • DriverMax – Provides several functions including
    • Exporting all or selected subset of drivers to a compressed file or folder
    • Importing driver files (great to help you restore previously exporting driver environments)
    • Identifying unknown devices
    One warning: it’s not always accurate in finding driver updates. Verify whether any updates it finds are suitable for your environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back