USB port is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help, my wife has a IBM Thinkpad and her usb port broke, its too expensive to replace it. I trying to find a way to connect a serial port and make it a usb port. I would use the pci card with usb serial ports but she needs that slot for her wireless internet card. Can Someone please help me with this problem.

I would think your at best,, Unlucky.
Not to be rude or anything but care should've been taken to not break the port,,Also arent USB ports in pairs?
shop around for the most inexpencive repair shop.
im not sure if thare is a "adapter" to help you out
I may be wrong though LOL
Good luck.

Most laptops have two PCMCIA slots, which may together in "one slot" to speak. Are you positive it is only 1?

If you are concerned about 1 card taking up too much space (many USB cards can occupy two slots), they make dongle-based USB PCMCIA cards which will definitely work in a single slot. And then you can always creatively arrange your PC Cards. Wireless will probably fit on the bottom in a single slot and then a USB card which may occupy two slots would only take up one on the top.

Otherwise, the only solution is to have it repaired a shop, which can get very expensive. The shop I work would charge nearly $150 to $200 for the work... Possibly even more depending on how bad it is. And just to look at it (whether it is repairable or not) is $65.

I happen to do some simliar work myself, at the shop.

Thank you so much for your help. I found a PCMCIA card with two usb ports and it works great. Its nice to know there are people who really want to help you. Thanks again for everything

Fred

Not a problem Busygrant, that's what we are here for. Best of luck to you in the future and hopefully we'll see you back ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back