Using a wireless Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a linksys 802.11g router and I am trying to use the wireless connect with my work Laptop. I have full admi rights to the laptop but I cannot get the network signal to stay connected. This is a new system, my old laptop worked just fine until the internal keyboard and processor crashed so my company provided me with a newer but old Gateway laptop with a 700mhz processor running windows xp pro. My problem is that I can install the software for the USB antenna or the software for the PCMCIA card antenna but neith will stay connected to the router the connections keep dropping. I have not had a problem before with this router and I have not moved a thing the only changes are the laptop I'm using. I can stand anywhere in my house with my PDA and Wirelessly connect to the internet but when I use my laptop I have several connection issues. The system will not stay connected to the router via the antenna, it's like the protocol is not exactly right for some reason. When the connect I receive a very weak signal and it keeps dropping. But if I set my pda right next to the PC everything connects on the PDA with a full signal also if I use the USB antenna or the PCMCIA card in another laptop for testing purposes it seem to work fine. I hope some one can give me some Ideas. I have loaded the updated drivers for each card and have not seen any improvement. Thanks,
Hope you can help

Update the wireless drivers to the latest version downloaded from the internet. Update the router firmware to the latest version.

Try some other encryption scheme. WPA instead of WPA2, WEP instead of WPA if all else fails.

O.K. will do again but have already tried this.... Question thigh why would it work on one laptop running the same exact software as the new but not work correctly on the new. Both are running Windows XP Pro with only work applicable software on them. The only diff between them is the processor speed, both are made by Gateway and of course the Hardware may be different do to them being different gateway modles but the drives are exact images of each other.. I will do what was asked and get back to you when complete to let you know my progress. Thanks again for the info it s greatly appreciated.

The wireless chips inside the laptops can be different. Also, the driver versions can be different.

are you able to connect at all, or does it try to connect and fail ??

There are 2 states of connection in a wireless network

1) network SSID found by the laptop wireless connection inititated
2)wep key (or other security) accepted by the router and IP address given out.

Also is it a B or G class router and network card, is the router set to accept connections from both B and G class cards, you will need to go into the routers settings to check this.

Oh and XP on a 700MHZ machine ....thats gotta run slower than a mole in molasses, maybe thats the reason why your having problems.

Regards

You are right it is slower than Molasses and I am begining to wonder if this is the issue. I have checked out all the idease you have given me and everything seems correct, Its a G router and G card (no internal Wireless chip in laptop) and all drivers have been updated. It does connect for approximately 3-4 minutes at a time very intermittantly and I even had it connected for 15 minutes once. I am still having issue and I am begining to steer towards the ability of the Machine (laptop horsepower) and the intermittant issues. I have contacted my LAn team at wor and requested an updated model to replace this, I am oncall 24-7 and I can't keep waiting on a machine to take 35 minutes to allow me to access my work. I feel like I am on a old Univac Computer.

Thanks again for all the info, this site is great

Ididmyc600 said:
Also is it a B or G class router and network card, is the router set to accept connections from both B and G class cards, you will need to go into the routers settings to check this
Force it to G only. There's a well know issue for a neighborhood with both B and
G wireless networks. The B mode systems will cause and B+G routers to fall back
to B mode. Placing yours into Gonly will avoid the issue.

The 700mhz will work nicely -- on any OS other than Windows!

GSW327 said:
I even had it connected for 15 minutes once.

That means that the card itself is working then, it must be the PC...

GSW327 said:
I feel like I am on a old Univac Computer.

Whats a Univac ? something to clean carpets !!!

jobeard said:

:haha: :haha:

Ididmyc600 said:
Whats a Univac ? something to clean carpets !!!
Actually one of the early mainframe systems.
jobeard said:
yep! A 733mhz platform runs a Linux webserver quite well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back