Using new 24-pin PSU on old 20-pin mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

So I have this old eMachines, and have come to the conclusion that it crashing so many times is from the insane amount of dust + its crappy SiS <something> integrated gfx chip.

Well, I plan on fixing up that dust, reapplying some thermal paste (AS5), and adding a brand new Radeon 9800 in it (AGP, 50$, should play most stuff on medium settings).

Now, the problem is, the powersupply is a crap eMachines 250W that is ~6 years old. I have a 500W -unused- PSU just sitting there in my box [that is, box of random stuff that I have lying around] (ATX v2.2 I believe). It has 24 pins, and enough power for that eMachines and it's new 9800. The question is, if I were to get a 24pin-20pin adapter and hook everything up, will something break? The motherboard is a Foxcon, socket A with a 8x AGP slot. Don't know the exact model, but the chipset is an SiS (and so is the integrated gfx chip). I think it _should_ work, but is it possible that the PSU will somehow...... over-power it or something of the sort?

I can't afford to break anything, so I won't even try if you think it won't work. All replies welcome!

Thanks!

I definately don't think it will "over-power" the eMachines. A system will only take as much power as it needs, leaving a lot left over from that 500-Watts. As long as you get that 24-20 pin adapter, the eMachines and the power supply will be fully compatible, presenting no problems.

Check if 4 pins will break off of your 24pin connector on your 500W, a lot of PSUs have 4 that break off so you don't have to get an adapter.

You can simply cut the plastic down on the last 4 pins, but if you ever need to use that psu for a 24 pin mobo then you will be screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back