Valve's Steam Deck is on track for late February launch

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: If you’re one of the many gamers waiting to get your hands on a Steam Deck, you may not have to wait much longer. Valve said the new handheld console will most likely start shipping next month, despite lingering problems with the supply chain.

Valve announced its Steam Deck handheld console back in July 2021, and it’s no secret that it brought a lot of excitement to gamers who have been waiting to play their favorite PC games on a compact portable device. The concept proved intriguing even to Epic CEO Tim Sweeney, who called it an “amazing move” that will offer users the ability to install software of their choosing.

However, the timing coincided with the ongoing situation where the tech supply chain has been struggling to meet demand for materials and components needed to make consumer electronic devices. Valve initially planned for early adopters to receive their devices in December, but was eventually forced to delay the launch to February this year.

The company has now published an update where it confirms the highly anticipated portable console is still on track for a proper launch by the end of next month, “global pandemic, supply issues, and shipping issues notwithstanding.”

In the meantime, the company says it’s been sending out more developer kits so that game creators can get their titles ready for the Steam Deck’s launch. Games will have ratings based on their level of compatibility and ease of setting up, and getting a “Deck Verified” check mark also requires that a particular title achieve a minimum of 30 frames per second at all times.

Valve says it has more information that it will share soon, and you can pre-order the Steam Deck as of writing.

Permalink to story.

I am pressing X for doubt: I think they might technically get like 5% of the preorders shipped at that time but until I don't see them fill out all preorders and then reopen for just general public sales I don't believe them: We've been burned before by Valve time.

Yeah, Valve just hasn't really produced on any of their idea's. They really need to bring in advisors that bring products to market regularly and get some solid advice ..... then follow it!

I pre-ordered the day it went live and my pre-order is showing "after Q2" that's all the info they're giving me. Guessing US/Canada get the first shipments, UK later.

More excited about SteamOS 3.0 than the console itself
Exactly.
Any potential step in Linux compatibility for gamers is more than appreciated and TBH anything that could potentially transfer me 100% time away from Windows would be simply awesome.
One can dream :-D

A lot of people are going to be disappointed when this comes out.
Yeah I think you might be right. For me it’s that screen. 720P 30fps LCD. On a handheld if you have a bad screen you have a bad device. Also steam OS? I’d definitely rather have it ship with Windows. Then I could play games on epic, Xbox, gog, uplay etc.

Still, will be interesting to watch unfold.

So can you explain the Nintendo Switch?
The switch has a bad screen. It’s just been upgraded to an OLED screen which is actually pretty dam good. It’s also considerably cheaper, has far more games, it has joy cons and tonnes of controllers and it’s far smaller and lighter.

I really don’t think that the steam deck is going to take any switch customers in any meaningful amount. People who play switch do so for the exclusives, not the hardware.

But if you want to buy a $500 device that has a 720p LCD screen and games that targets 30fps then far be it from me to stop you.

The switch has a bad screen. It’s just been upgraded to an OLED screen which is actually pretty dam good.
The OLED screen is still 720p. It's just bigger, which if your issue is the resolution is too low on the Steam Deck, the Switch just made it worse, not better. OLED is much better than LCD though.
It’s also considerably cheaper
Well it's really not though is it? £310 for an OLED Switch and £350 for a Deck.
has far more games
Games available on steam: 10,000+
Games available on Nintendo Switch: 4300+
it has joy cons
Oh yeah joy cons, famous for their comfort and reliability...
and tonnes of controllers
Do I really need to list the amount of controllers compatible with the Nintendo Switch vs what the Steam Deck will be compatible with? Ironically, the Steam Deck will be compatible with the Nintendo controllers...
it’s far smaller and lighter.
Ah yes, the "lightness" that will apparently make the Deck impossible to play comfortably, regardless of what early hands on have said.
Far smaller? I think you mean far Thinner, The Deck is definitely larger, but FAR larger? I guess that's personal opinion.
I really don’t think that the steam deck is going to take any switch customers in any meaningful amount. People who play switch do so for the exclusives, not the hardware.
I completely agree, the Deck is aimed at PC gamers who want to take their PC games mobile, it's also a full on PC, so you can actually use it for other things other than gaming. The Switch is for the exclusives.
But if you want to buy a $500 device that has a 720p LCD screen and games that targets 30fps then far be it from me to stop you.
Lets be real here, the Nintendo Switch is the same price with lower specs, Once you buy the console, Plus a pro controller or an extra set of joy cons (since they will start to drift) plus a couple of games, plus the online subscription, you're already in that $500 territory. I know, I bought a switch with some accessories and games for a present.

I purchased the highest model Deck (which worked out slightly more expensive than the Switch) but I already have a 200+ Steam library of games, I already have a variety of controllers I can use with it. I don't need to pay a monthly subscription forever to play online games. And if I get a drift issue with the built-in sticks, I can replace them, I won't need to buy £80 worth of new controllers again.

Last edited:
The OLED screen is still 720p. It's just bigger, which if your issue is the resolution is too low on the Steam Deck, the Switch just made it worse, not better. OLED is much better than LCD though.

Well it's really not though is it? £310 for an OLED Switch and £350 for a Deck.

Games available on steam: 10,000+
Games available on Nintendo Switch: 4300+

Oh yeah joy cons, famous for their comfort and reliability...

Do I really need to list the amount of controllers compatible with the Nintendo Switch vs what the Steam Deck will be compatible with? Ironically, the Steam Deck will be compatible with the Nintendo controllers...

Ah yes, the "lightness" that will apparently make the Deck impossible to play comfortably, regardless of what early hands on have said.
Far smaller? I think you mean far Thinner, The Deck is definitely larger, but FAR larger? I guess that's personal opinion.

I completely agree, the Deck is aimed at PC gamers who want to take their PC games mobile, it's also a full on PC, so you can actually use it for other things other than gaming. The Switch is for the exclusives.

Lets be real here, the Nintendo Switch is the same price with lower specs, Once you buy the console, Plus a pro controller or an extra set of joy cons (since they will start to drift) plus a couple of games, plus the online subscription, you're already in that $500 territory. I know, I bought a switch with some accessories and games for a present.

I purchased the highest model Deck (which worked out slightly more expensive than the Switch) but I already have a 200+ Steam library of games, I already have a variety of controllers I can use with it. I don't need to pay a monthly subscription forever to play online games. And if I get a drift issue with the built-in sticks, I can replace them, I won't need to buy £80 worth of new controllers again.

Great response, spot on to everything you said. I see that a LOT of people on here are clueless on what the Steam Deck is going to be like when it arrives. I got my order in and I cannot wait for it to arrive.

Back