Verizon FiOS launches fastest Internet tier to date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Verizon on Monday launched their fastest FiOS Internet package to date for business and residential customers. It’s not quite on the same level as Google Fiber but Verizon’s new Quantum tier is capable of 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up which is still seriously fast by most standards.

Naturally, an Internet package of this caliber won’t come cheap. If you’re a business, the only option at this time is a standalone Internet package that will set you back $369 per month. Residential customers can save a little by bundling the Quantum tier with a cable package starting at $309.99 or adding phone service as part of a triple play for $329.99. A two year service agreement is required in either case for residential service and either way you slice it, service isn’t cheap.

We are also told that users can elect to purchase the service on a month to month basis without a contract but interestingly enough, Verizon didn’t provide pricing for this model. That fact alone should be pretty telling as to how much it’ll cost.

The service is being rolled out in parts of every current FiOS market although you’ll want to check locally to see if you can get it. The telecom said they plan to make the Quantum tier available to everyone currently covered by FiOS service by the end of next year.

Unfortunately, if you don’t already have access to FiOS in your area, you won’t be getting it anytime soon. That’s because Verizon confirmed the FiOS rollout was over more than a year ago. Once Verizon fulfills its franchise build-out obligations, it is game over.

Permalink to story.

There is no point even mentioning google's offering because at this price point verzion's package is on another planet.

For a business this may be useful which I assume would come with SLA's.

Maybe in 3-4 years the pricing on this will actually come down to level a consumer is willing to pay.

Also news is missing the most important information what is the Data cap??

Comcast double speed best one is 210 mbps down at a cost of $200 bucks. Told me there wasn't gap but there is about 350 mbps and up. Everything has some sort of cap (gap). I would drop Comcast and use my Verzion bill internet service but not at these prizes no way..

As a FIOS customer, I have not hit a data cap so far in the two years I've had it. However, I download perhaps on average 50-100 gigs a month.

I saw this tier on Verizon's web site a few days ago and thought it might be in response to Cablevision recently increasing the speeds on its Optimum tiers recently (I'm and Optimum customer and my download and upload speeds are now 101 and 35 respectively, up from 50/8). Verizon is supposed to be wiring my area for Fios but I haven't seen any trucks lately (just one last month).

Everything suppose to be 1.0 Gbp by 2015. I had D3 Cable Modem by Ubee has 1000mbps port it set to that speed by default. I get with it 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. I had purchased it so I don't have to pay rent per month on it from the local Cable Company (such a racket)

Everything suppose to be 1.0 Gbp by 2015. I had D3 Cable Modem by Ubee has 1000mbps port it set to that speed by default. I get with it 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. I had purchased it so I don't have to pay rent per month on it from the local Cable Company (such a racket)

I've been thinking of buying a cable modem as well, and I've found a model that also has RJ-11 ports for telephone service, but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger only to discover that Fios has become available in my neighborhood.

That would really suck.

Save a lot of money buying your own cable modem, just have to let your ISP get the Mac address so they know that's you on their network.

Save a lot of money buying your own cable modem, just have to let your ISP get the Mac address so they know that's you on their network.

Correction "ISP supported Cable modem" Most ISP won't let you just grab any modem and put it on their network. It usually has to be on a approved list of modems they have tested on the network. This obviously varies from region to region but most are like this.

Correction "ISP supported Cable modem" Most ISP won't let you just grab any modem and put it on their network. It usually has to be on a approved list of modems they have tested on the network. This obviously varies from region to region but most are like this.

Very true but in my case the modem I was looking at is an Arris model which is currently being used by Cablevision for their Optimum Online setups. I'll have to ask a Best Buy sales rep about the price next time I'm there.

I didn't just grab any cable modem, I am using the same one the had gave me for rent. I order one off Amazon and had returned what they gave me. Same Ubee D3 cable modem they use, but the only difference is I don't have to pay a monthly fee to the cable company for using it.

As I say you save a lot of money doing it this way. Just have to call them up and give them the mac address for that new modem you own.

Glad to know all that money Verizon saved abandoning states all over the US is being put to good use. /s

Back