Verizon FiOS rolling out symmetrical upload speeds at no additional charge

Shawn Knight

Staff member

verizon fios verizon cable fios internet connection upload speed symmetrical

Verizon on Monday announced its FiOS Internet service is getting a speed boost. Instead of upping download speeds (which are already plenty fast over the fiber connection), the company is tackling a facet that's often overlooked - upload speeds.

In a rollout that begins today, Verizon is matching its upload speeds to its download speeds for new and existing customers at no extra charge. For example, customers with a 50 Mbps connection previously had an upload speed of 25 Mbps. Following the update, their new upload speed will also be 50 Mbps.

FiOS is rolling out symmetrical upload speeds for customers across the board up to the top 500 Mbps speed tier. At the top speed, a customer could upload 200 photos (1GB) in four seconds, a 1-hour HD movie (3GB) in under 50 seconds and 10GB of data to the cloud in just 2.7 minutes.

While services like Google Fiber may have FiOS beat, that's still a ridiculously fast connection.

Robert Mudge, Verizon's president of consumer and mass business markets and the top FiOS boss, said the upgrade to offer symmetrical upload speeds required an almost insignificant investment on their part. Traditional cable operators, meanwhile, would need to spend a lot more green in order to offer symmetrical upload speeds.

Mudge and others believe that upload speeds will become increasingly more important over the coming years as video chat services and large file sharing in the cloud becomes even more prevalent. Verizon even expects upload traffic to double by the end of 2016.

Permalink to story.

I just upgraded from 25/25 to 50/25 (testing regularly at 60/30-35), so while my new agreement expires by the time the rollout is expected to be completed, it'll be nice to know that I'll be getting the symmetrical line back. I use a lot of that 25mbps up for offsite network backup, gaming, @home style projects and the like, I can only count myself lucky they have not said anything about my bandwidth usage.... Now that I have this new plan I'll have to wait and see.

What data caps? Fios internet has no data caps. We're not talking about cell phones here.

What's interested is that up until 2010 they offered mirrored data up/down with every package anyway, then it went away and they offered split speed... now it's back. Why the heck did it go away to begin with?

This is good to hear, and the fact that Verizon is not charging any extra makes it even better. Been a Fios customer for over a year now and it doesn't look like I am going anywhere any time soon. As long as they keep making upgrades to their networks like this, they will have plenty of loyal customers.

All those upgrades to your bandwidth, and you still couldn't just tell me you are actively blocking Netflix.

If you don't already have TWC, Comcast, or Verizon, DON'T DO IT. Stick with ANYONE ELSE, these *******s are the reason we need net neutrality. They need to be losing customers instead of making more.

I've been an existing customer for a while on 50/25 and just got matching speeds! I did a speed test and got 56/61!

If you're an existing customer and want to get this, simply log into your verizon primary account and go to the "My Extras+" side bar thing. Signing up just requires you to enter a birthday, and all you do is get points for watching ads and changing settings or something. I have no idea where you can use these points, but signing up should give you a message saying that your upload speeds now match your download speeds compliment of verizon.

"tempted"?? I switched as soon as fios was installed and never looked back. the picture quality is so much better...
Yeah I liked FIOS and all but I switched back because optimum offered to pay the termination fee and offered me a lot more.

Back