Verizon says US government made 150k user data requests in last six months

Himanshu Arora

Staff

The US government made approximately 150,000 demands for Verizon user data during the first half of 2014. The revelation came as a part of the carrier's second company transparency report, which it released yesterday.

Last year, the company received a total of 321,545 user data requests. Although it's hard to make a direct comparison, as the company never disclosed the number of requests it received during the first half of 2013, the figures do give a rough indication that the  number of requests have gone down.

The nation's largest mobile carrier reported that it received 72,342 subpoenas, 37,327 court orders, and 14,977 warrants from federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.

verizon user data law enforcement law enforcement requests report law enforcement requests government data request

In addition, Verizon also fielded more than 24,257 emergency requests and between 0 and 999 National Security Letters from the FBI (the company could not disclose the exact number due to reporting restrictions).

verizon user data law enforcement law enforcement requests report law enforcement requests government data request

The latest report also reveals that a "vast majority" of the requests Verizon received were related to regular customers. The company received relatively few demands regarding its enterprise customers.

"We do not release customer information unless authorized by law, such as a valid law enforcement demand or an appropriate request in an emergency involving the danger of death or serious physical injury," the report notes.

Verizon said it provides contents of communications to law enforcement relatively infrequently. "Far less frequently, we are required to assist with wiretaps, where law enforcement accesses the content of a communication as it is taking place," the company said, adding that it received 714 wiretap orders in the first six months of 2014.

Verizon also revealed the details of user data requests it received from law enforcement agencies of other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, and more.

Permalink to story.

The nation's largest mobile carrier reported that it received 72,342 subpoenas, 37,327 court orders, and 14,977 warrants from federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.
No wonder cellular carriers/ISP's charge so much, and never upgrade infrastructure. They spend all their man hours and personnel pacifying government request.

Edit: Maybe our taxes should pay for our service, It seems the government makes use of our service more than we do.

Now boys and girls, this is what's known as, "opaque transparency". All Verizon is telling you is how many requests were made, and nothing in reference to what the government's reason(s) were for asking for the information. I suspect half or more of those requests, may have been in relation to the FBI's role as the RIAA/MPAA's trained attack dog.

Somehow, this reminds me of Crosby, Stills, & Nash's song, "Almost Cut my Hair".

At one point they wax philosophic, "somehow it increases my paranoia, like looking in the mirror and seeing a police car".......:eek:

(Of course I realize this is quite dated. Now all the police have to do, is have Verizon ping your phone and set up a roadblock).:D

Last edited:
I don't know what is more crazy. They balls the Fed has to continue with unconstitutional unwarranted searches even with all the backlash, or the balls of Verizon for publishing the data on it.

All I know is that I may be switching to Verizon in the near future.

Back