Very new at this... I may have fried my CPU...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I placed my Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 in a socket 754 when it's a socket 775 processor.... very stupid, believe I know.. but $!@# happens.

I later purchased an Intel DG31PR Motherboard (socket 775, funny how that works) but the system will not boot up. It beeps like 6 or 7 times, nothing displays on the screen.

Did I fry the chip? Could it be something else? Let me know if you need more info.?

** Did I mention I'm new at this, It's the 2nd PC I've attempted to build. My wife is looking at me like I'm Tim "the toolman" Taylor, so the quicker I get responses the better...Thanks in advance.

Yes,
you have probably damaged the CPU. Did you apply some thermal paste to the CPU and it's heatsink?

Agree with Tmagic650, if you have everything else hooked up correctly. Only way you can check your cpu is putting in your friends computer which is compatible to your cpu (dah). ;) You actually let your wife know what you did?:)

That was my second mistake...

Thanks guys... I actually tried that, and nothing happened, I was hoping it wasnt the chip... you live you learn.

What do you guys think about Linux Ubuntu 7.1?

Ubuntu is a very good free OS. If you intend to do any sort of gaming on the computer you will need to install Wine Emulator, and I am not positive if that is compatible with Ubuntu.

I don't think it could have fried for the simple fact that socket 775 CPUs do not have pins on the underside of the CPU, the contact pins are on the CPU socket on the motherboard. On the other hand the socket 754 CPUs have pins on the underside & so the pins are not present on the CPU socket on the motherboard. When you put that Intel CPU on that CPU socket there was no contact being made between both.

The sizes of the two sockets are different though (socket 754 being bigger than the socket 775) so I don't think you've done any physical harm either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back