Very Slow background start in w2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DD

Hi, this is not about start up progs slowing w2k start up as i only have 4 progs to start in w2k.

But when i start up i cannot use any taskbar icons and the wallpaper takes at least 3-4 mins to show itself.........so i cannot use the desktop, where as w2k was starting normally last week.
Sometimes i get the windows fault screen about active destop before things turn to normal.

I am using an xp wallpaper, never had problem before.

I have looked at active desktop reactivating but this does not solve it.

Many thanks.

it's possible that your video driver is corrupted. you could try reinstalling it and see if that makes a difference.

What have you done since last week?
If it worked then, it should work now...

Have you "crashed" the system with ther power off button, installed new drivers, changed wallpaper, activated active desktop etc?

Something that you did since last week is most likely the cause of your problem... If you tell us what you've done, we'll have an easier time locating the problem... :)

.02$

Mr Garibaldi............i think my daughter has done something she may have crashed it as you said .

I have only installed w2k recently and all was well, to try to solve this i have used "tweak w2k" from this site and it seems to load ok now apart from the odd time it goes back to a slow startup?

Do you have to have active desktop on...to load wallpaper, i thought you did?

Thanks.

To help load times, turn your background to none. Next, in your startup menu check how many programs are starting. There are most likely many starting that don't need too. Any messanger can be activated when it needs to be. Virus scan should startup. Just make sure you don't have anything starting up at boot that you don't need. As you add programs onto your computer some will automatically add themselves to the windows load on startup folder and will slow down the time it takes to load windows. You said you have a daughter, ask her if she installed anything that could also be it right there. There are several things that might be causing this. But The above is usually the most common.

Ayasha

P.S. My apologies for that long overly drawn out explanation.

Ayasha i only have 2 progs loading at startup

Zone alarm and avg virus prog.

Sometimes the desktop fault screen shows asking me to enable active desktop?
Sometimes the background pic just takes ages to load , but does so?

:confused:

what kind of processor and memory do you have? zone alarm is a major resource hog.

For certain wallpapers you have to have active desktop enabled... And this will slow your system down... (But it enables you to have any pic as a wallpaper...)

Which anti virus program do you use? Is it set to scanning your system at startup? (Or to scan every program loading?)

If you boot up your system with a bootlog, does it show any programs failing to load? (Either with STOP or ERROR)

How big is your swap-/pagefile?

You don't run any antispam programs? (Some of them take ages to load and will slow most systems to a crawl...)

Hi, many thanks for replys, i use startman to check progs listed at startup and only have avg and zonealarm showing.

I Have clean installed w2k now so cured problem.........good job my progs are on another partition. however..........

w2k doesn't use msconfig as far as i can see.......have i missed anything ...............would there be other progs starting somewhere?

:)

Have you looked in Control Panel>Admin Tools, you should be able to access Services from there and change what is running on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back