How Can I remove the Start Menu Icons in Open-Shell Version 4.4.170? [Solved]

Skeezix

I had been running Version 4.4.162 for a few years and everything was fine. The Start Menu Style was set to "Classic with two columns", did not have any icons on it, and took up about 600 vertical pixels.

Then I updated my OpenShell to version 4.4.170, changed a couple of "minor" things (can't remember what though), and then shut the computer down. When I turned the computer back on and clicked the Start button, I see that icons have been added and the menu is now about 90% of full vertical scale (which is BTW 1080 pixels). I seem to recall something about icon size on the Start menu but I can't find it when I search for it. I checked the Windows display by right-clicking a blank area on the desktop and selecting "Personalize" but didn't see anything there that would help.

Can somebody please tell me how I can revert the Open-Shell Start menu so that it does not show icons?

Last edited:
Hi,
You should be able to remove the icons from the Start menu by opening the Open-Shell settings, then going to the "Start Menu" tab. Once there, you should see a section called "Start Menu Style" with a few options. If you set the option to "Classic with two columns" that should remove the icons from the Start menu and restore the menu to the size you're looking for.

If you're still not able to remove the icons, you can try the following steps:

1. Right-click on the Taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
  2. Scroll down to the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" section.
  3. Turn off the switch next to Open-Shell. This will hide the Open-Shell icon from the taskbar.
If you still not able to resolve the issue, it may be helpful to check the Open-Shell forums for other users who have experienced the same issue, or to contact the developers of the Open-Shell software for further assistance.

If you know the setting you changed, it might be easier to revert it to the previous state, if you are unable to find it from the option menu.

UPDATE:
After making 2-3 changes I restarted the computer and now everything is back to normal. I still have the icons but now they are back to the small size.
Can't recall exactly what changes I made, but they were in both OpenShell and in the Windows Desktop configuration. I didn't realize that when OpenShell said to restart, that it meant restart the computer. I just shut down and restarted OpenShell. Nothing said to restart the computer. Live and learn...

So how do I mark a message title as "Solved" or "Fixed" or something??

Back