Very slow Windows XP

Fudd0828

Hi I have a very slow PC running windows XP, I have scanned for viruses and malware with no result. I have also Defraged disk, cleaned up and still slow as molasses. What else can I do besides add more ram which I'm gonna do anyway.

Did you do a search of this forum for the problem? This topic has had a HUGE coverage since 2004, so you are better off researching the topic on here than just asking at random, because there have been many, many causes.

Just try a forum search for 'windows XP slow'

Your best bet is look at a few cases and notice any that might apply to you. Just so as you won't feel I am unresponsive, the most likely cause is software incompatibilities amongst installed anti-malware, and failing hardware.

Rather than leaving you searching to your own devices, let's start things off by getting some information!

What kind of computer are we talking about here, make and model?
What is your processor, how much RAM do you have?
How old is it?
Is the problem limited to something you do, like a certain program or programs, or is this slowness all the time?
Was there anything in particular you were doing when the problem first started?
Is your Windows XP fully up to date?
Are all your hardware drivers up to date?

If you can help by answering some and or all of that, it will give us all a good starting point! Searching our forums isn't a bad idea, but I'm kind of proactive when it comes to computers, so if you can, answer the above and we will see what happens!

You sir, are a true gentleman. I'll be posting a similar problem soon and would be very much appreciative on some guidance from the forum gurus.

As GBhall mentioned, this issue has been documented since 2004... This would, in effect, require hours of searching to try and find a relevant set of issues. If a senior forum member, better versed and more learned on the subject, with knowledge of said issues and there discussion, is able to direct a person to the most relevant information quickly... Well; it really does help us "little people" and we do appreciate the gesture.

Back