Virus? not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfblitz

Everytime I run malwarebytes avast tells me I have a virus even though I deal with the virus (delete,rename etc) it still comes up with the same when I re-run malwarebytes this has nerver happened before

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    5.6 KB · Views: 3
Fun all of these free programs in both regular mode, and when they will work, in SAFE MODE: Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avir Antivir, MalWareBytes again, and SuperAntispyware.
Of look on this TechSpot site for the removal system called 8 Steps.

You'll find the steps HERE that we'd like you to follow.

When you finish, please attach the 3 logs for review. A HijackThis log alone is not sufficient to check for malware.

Please run the scan in Normal Mode. Be sure to check the lines in both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to remove the malware entries they find. Rescan with HJT after these 2 program.

Don't remove anything in the HijackThis log- we will instruct you on that.

EDIT: Here is the link Raybay. https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/Consder leaving it for the member the next time you refer them to the steps.

Thanks for your replies........I ran the scans and have posted the logs
Before I ran malrarebytes I uninstalled the one I had and reinstalled another copy this time there were no avast virus warnings and both mbam and sas came back with nothing to report

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    5.8 KB · Views: 2
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-21-2010 - 13-28-11.log
    465 bytes · Views: 2
  • mbam-log-2010-01-21 (19-03-19).txt
    874 bytes · Views: 2
Sorry for the delay- I just can't get caught up! These logs are all clean. Please do this online scan to make sure there is nothing lurking:

Run Eset NOD32 OnlinAntiVirusus Scanner HERE

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • logfilele is created and located at C:\Program FileEsetOnlineScannerer\lotxtxt. Please include this on your post.
If this is clean and the problems have been resolved, I'll have you remove the cleaning tools and old restore points.

Thanks for your reply Bobbye
here's the log you asked for ..........if the log is clean why did avast flag a virus when I ran mbam

Attachments

• log.txt
    815 bytes · Views: 3
.if the log is clean why did avast flag a virus when I ran mbam

I can't find anything specific about Avast and Malwarebytes. But what you had was a False Positive:- the term applied when an anti-virus program mistakenly flags an innocent file as being infected. It happens occasionally. You did not tell me what the virus was or what site you downloaded Malwarebytes from, so either of those could have made a difference.

If the original malware problems have been resolved, you can remove the cleaning tools and old restore points:
Remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created
  • DownloadOTCleanIt by OldTimer
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click OTCleanIt.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
The tool will delete itself once it finishes.

If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.

You should now set a new Restore Point to prevent infection from any previous Restore Points. The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the Restore Point a name then click "Create". The new Restore Point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Go to "Disk Cleanup" which can be found by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
  • Click "OK" to select the partition or drive you desire.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous Restore Points except the newly created one.

More details and screenshots for Disk Cleanup in Windows Vista can be found here.

Please follow these simple steps to keep your computer clean and secure:
1.Disable and Enable System Restore: This will help you to drop the old restore points and set a new, clean one:

System Restore Guide

2.Stay current on updates:
  • Visit the Microsoft Download Sitefrequently.
    You should get All updates marked Critical and the current SP updates:Windows 2000> SP4, Windows XP> SP2, SP3, Vista> SP2
  • Visit this Adobe Reader site often and make sure you have the most current update. Uninstall any earlier updates as they are vulnerabilities.
  • Check this site often.Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

3.Make Internet Explorer safer. Follow the suggestions HERE
This Tutorial will help guide you through Configuring Security Settings, Managing Active X Controls and other safety features.

4.Remove Temporary Internet Files regularly: Use5. Use an AntiVirus Software(only one)
6.Use a good, bi-directional firewall(one software firewall)
See Understanding and Using Firewalls including links to download a firewall.

7.Consider these programs for Extra Security
  • Spywareblaster:
  • SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX. It places kill bits to stop bad Active X controls from being installed. Remember to update it regularly.
  • IE/Spyad
  • This places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts files This replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back