Virus or Spyware Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunnybunn5

i downloaded a doecument off of a website a week ago and ever since then i've been getting internet popup ads for random things (dating sites, travel sites, shopping, etc). I ran spybot search and destroy and there was no change. did i download some sort of virus or spyware? how do i get rid of it so my computer is healthy again and i don't keeping getting ads popping up when i'm on the computer? thanks:)
p.s. my i.e. popup blocker is on

most likely a trojan or spyware of some sort. I would suggest getting avast home edition its free and real good i use it with no problems and try getting spybot search and destroy and tell me wyhat it finds. also make sure windows is fully up to date. hope this helps.

The first thing that I need you to do for me is to download and install HijackThis for me,

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in its own folder, usually C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis. Please don't change the directory as it is necessary to create backups.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete copy and paste the contents into your reply.
Do not attempt to fix any item yet.
Do not add anything to the ignore list.
Don't use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.

Hijackthis will give me an idea as to what nasty things there are lurking about in your system and will help the both of us get rid of them.

If you have any problems or questions then please post back.

You appear to be running two antivirus programs,

Norton Internet Security 2005
Avast! anti-virus

Running two antivirus programs can actually comprimise your system as well as slowing it down.

If you have attempted to remove Norton or it is out of date then please let me know and I will help you get rd of it.

i removed norton from my computer and i'm still having the same problem with popups. what should i do next? i've attached my new HJT log.

Open up Hijackthis.
Click on do a system scan only.
Place a checkmark next to these lines(if still present).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: InternetSoftware - {AF7E9EBB-E1CF-7F7C-C608-13185698F3E9} - C:\Program Files\InternetSoftware\InternetSoftware-2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: The netadv - {F17B1418-2C0C-4295-BD55-BCDD3C730FBE} - C:\WINDOWS\netadv.dll (file missing)

Then close all windows except Hijackthis and click Fix Checked
Close HijackThis.

Delete the following files and folders if still present,

C:\Program Files\InternetSoftware\InternetSoftware-2.dll<-----------this folder
C:\WINDOWS\netadv.dll<---------------this file

I would like you to do an online scan so that we can what else may be in your system,
Run Kaspersky online scanner
With the exception of Internet Explorer, which must be used for this scan, keep ALL programs closed
Note: It is recommended to disable onboard antivirus program and antispyware programs while performing scans to speed up scan time and to make sure there are no conflicts.
Do not go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable resident antivirus protection along with whatever antispyware application you use.

Do an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner in Internet Explorer. You will be prompted to install and run an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75%. Once the licence accepted, reset to 100%.
  • The program will launch and then start to download the latest definition files.
  • Once the scanner is installed and the definitions downloaded, click Next.
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
    o Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    o Extended (If available, otherwise use standard)
    o Scan Options:
    o Scan Archives
    o Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Under select a target to scan, select My Computer
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Please do not use your computer while the scan is running. Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
  • Click the Save Report As... button (see red arrow below)

Kas-SaveReport-1.gif

• In the Save as... prompt, select Desktop
  • In the File name box, name the file
  • In the Save as type prompt, select Text file (see below)

Kas-Savetxt.gif

• Include the report in your next post.

Run HijackThis again and post a fresh log.

So in your next reply you should have,

1)Kaspersky scan
2)Fresh HJT log

hunnybunn if u instant message me on aim it will be easier to help u and quicker i will get ur problem fixed i read ur logs and looks like u have alot of problems. check my profile for contact details. ty

stop what? I can get that computer workin like gold. All im doing is helping people. Im not doing anything wrong. This is a help site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back