Vista won't open files from HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running vista 64, have an external hd from my previous computer. basic media type files saved on hd.

When i get it on this new system it recognizes fine, and shows all the files/folders, however i cant open the files. mp3's, .txt, anything. Initially I went to load them on my new computer, getting errors ranging from name will be to long or doesnt exist, as if its pointing to nowhere.

Any ideas.

Install the old drive as a slave second drive in your computer and try to access the data once more. How was the old drive formatted? What OS was it formatted on?

not sure how it was initially formatted, it was initially on xp, i cant remember the original format, i also have a mybook that was empty, and it works fine. i tried to create a new file on it and it wouldnt allow me, disconnected it, then reconnected and it said usb drive has malfunctioned.

connect the drive to the new system,
be sure to login on an Admin account then

use My Computer to view the drive letter assignments
right-click on the new drive->properties -->click the security tab
in the top half is a list of ACLs and you should at least see
Administrators; note the plural; that's a group name, not the login-id
In the bottom half is the list of perms for the selected ALC in the top half
Administrators and SYSTEM: MUST have Full Control

click on the advanced button, then on the OWNER TAB
the current 'owner' is shown: Administrators is ideal​

Now that you've seen a model of the ACLs, close all the property windows,
use the Explorer to find the directory that needs to be fixed and backup to its PARENT

now perform the operations above on the folder name that needs corrections
and then
on the Security Tab, add the login name(s) which need access
and set the permissions desired (usually Full Control)​

it wont recognize the dirve, it simply sais unknown device, and appears to install drivers for the unknown device, it wont read the contents of the hd, nor does it even know its a hd. this didnt happen initially, only after i disconnected/reconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back