Volume stuck at 100%, winkey not working, alt+tab not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool1007

A few problems arised today after boot up. First I noticed my Winkey wasn't working, unless I hold it down, pressing it.

Then, second I noticed was that the volume sounds were maxed out to 100%. I set the volume control down to 10% and I saw in front of my eyes how it would climb up again to 100%.

Next thing, I can't do alt+tab. Whenever I press the key combination, the list of open apps that should stay on screen (as long as you keep the alt key pressed down), just disappears not letting me select the application I want to switch to.

And finally, I can't select text writen within text boxes in IE. I can type it, select it with the keyboard (holding shift and using key arrows), but the normal left click + hold + drag, doesnt work.

It's like something is stuck in Windows and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fix it. I don't want to reinstall Windows and everything else. :(

I tried a system restore, also switched keyboard/mouse and nothing.

Please help me :(

I have ESET Smart Security latest version. I forgot to add that I have Windows vista x64 Ultimate.

This problem started happening after a blackout last night, which my UPS didn't pick up and my comp restarted. I didn't notice this problem until this morning.

Should I still keep doing the steps you suggested? Since I have ESET. is it find for me to install Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Thank you,

I've been a bit busy and couldn't do all these steps yet (im doing ccleaner right now and downloaded the programs to check it later or tomorrow morning). However, just as these 3 symptoms appeared, they dissapeared. My win key works normally again, I can alt tab between programs, I can select text in the text boxes within IE and the master volume slider doesn't go to 100% on it's own anymore.

I'll post an update after I do the scans to see if it shows anything interesting. I also ran a full scan with ESET and didn't pick up anything.

I followed all the steps in order and precisely, including updated Java to latest version 12 (i had version 11).

I'm attaching the log files. Also want to report that the problem came back last night... And it hasn't gone away. I open my volume mixer and when I turn down the master volume down, I can watch the slider go up on its own to 100%. Alt+tab doesn't work either, as well as the other problems described in my first post.

Hope this gives you any ideas of what can be wrong :(

Thanks in advance,

Yep clean!

Download ComboFix

NOTE: If you have had ComboFix more than a few days old delete and re-download.

Get it here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5587-combofix.html
Or here: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Double click combofix.exe follow the prompts.

Install Recovery Console if connected to the Internet!

When finished, it will open a log.
Attach the log and a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: Do not click combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

Then lets deeplt clean the Temps an registry.

Run CCleaner again twice or more on Cleanup temps, then on left click Registry then Scan for issues also repeat till clean.

Run ATF-Cleaner http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Temp and Registry, repeatedly until no more found.

KCleaner ftp://ftp2.kcsoftwares.com/kcsoftwa/files/kcleaner.exe
Fantastic cleaner.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The issues can and are likely found is in System Restore so do the below

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk- System Restore and create a new Restore point. Name it "After cleanup at TechSpot".

Then Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup
Click OK to accept C:
Select all Boxes
Then click More Options
Here click System Restore and OK to "Are you sure" and the OK to Run.

As this runs it clears all but the most recent Restore Point but it does one other thing that can contain infested files and a huge amount of disk space.

It clears what is known as Shadow copies which are used by specialized back up programs.

This is if you have the Volume Shadow Copy running which is the default.

Mike

I received a message from Combofix when I was trying to install it, saying it's only compatible with Windows 2000 or XP. I mentioned in a post earlier I have Vista 64... What should I do now?

Do all the rest in the post except ComboFix.

Combofix is compatible with Vista x86 but appearently not 64Bit!

Mike

In the part you mention a Recovery Console, do you mean like an option in Combofix or the Recovery Console in Windows?

I'll do the steps from "Run CCleaner..."

Thanks again, and sorry if I ask dumb questions :p

I completed all the steps as indicated, and I'm attaching a new HJT log. The problems are still present though :(

Time for Drastic measures.

Download RootRepeal http://rootrepeal.googlepages.com/RootRepeal.rar

Make Folder on your Desktop name it RRepeal. Move the rar file there and extract.

Enter folder double click RootRepeal.exe.
Click the Report tab, then click Scan

It will ask what to include in the scan.

Check the following
Drivers
Files
Processes
SSDT
Stealth Objects
Hidden Services
Then click OK

It will ask which drive to scan.

Check C: (or your windows drive, if not C)
Click OK
The scan will begin will take a while.

When scan completes, click Save Report .

Name the log RRepeal.txt save it to your Documents folder (it should default there).

Attach log here.

Then

Download Trojan Remover http://www.simplysup3.com/download/dl/trjsetup675.exe
This is a fully working 30 day trial.

Run and attach log!

Chose the right time for the below.

This is drastic but nothing else has worked on this issue tho we did fix a lot.

Download Norman Malware Cleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5450.html

Download then boot to safe mode only and run.

Do this when you go to work or bed as it is very thorough and will take hours.

Running in safe mode allows removal of some things that would give problems in normal mode but running in safe mode is slower also so double slow.

I mean it this program may run 6-8 hours so do it while you are sleeping or work! It will leave a log on Desktop when finished.

Mike

Mike

I opened RootRepeal and the following message poped:
"Mismatch between the kernel reported by Windows and the one reported by a hardware scan. Do you want to use the kernel reported by Windows?... Yes or No"

What option should I pick?

Thanks

Yes!

If this does not load or run now the go to next steps and we will come back to it if needed.

Mike

Here is the log you asked... I'll do the long scan with the other program later during the night and post it tomorrow.

Thank you,

I decided just to reformat... and reinstall Windows... The problem is still present. Should I start thinking of a motherboard problem? Even when I disconnect my keyboard and mouse, the master volume goes up to 100% on its own.

What is this? Never seen such problem.

I would not format at least until after the Norman scan.

Good night,

Will check inin morning.

Mike

Ok, I proceeded anyways since I missed your post, and EVEN after the reformat and clean re-install of Windows, the problem is still present. That should rule out a software problem and indicate a hardware issue, isn't it?

I'm really puzzled with this, and frustrated.

system restore is potentially dangerous. many viri make use of system restore. A better method is to TURN IT OFF and use a cloning or imaging program. I use GOBACK and swear by it. Others use GHOST, acronis, etc...

I didn't use Windows System Restore or anything of that sort... I did a clean format/reinstall of Windows, and the volume, alt+tab, winkey issues still persist. :(

I hope you saved all your data and did not lose anything!

Yes if you did a format and clean install then it has to be HW.

Did you download the latest driver for the Audio card.

Post the specs on the sound card and Iwill research it.

Opps I would remove the Keyboard turn upside down shake out and vacuum and blow it out.

Borrow a different Keyboard to see if the Keyboard is the issue. Sorry I should have thought of this earlier but my mind was in Malware gear and we did have the issues.

Mike

Well... Apparently the most simple solutions are never near your eyes to realize... xD

After 1 week, I figured out my logitech usb headphones were causing this problem. Somehow, internally, the volume control was stuck, causing it to send a constant "volume up" signal to my comp, which caused alt+tab and the Win key to be unresponsive too.

Thanks for trying to help, especially you, Mike.

Juan Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back