Want to overclock :) (newbie)

Hello Guys,

My first post here :)

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 II 240 2.8 Ghz
MotherBoard: Geforce 6100PM - M2
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 HIS ICEQ 5 Model (Factory Overclocked)
Ram: 2 GB Kingston DDR 2
PSU: Cooler Master 500 Watts (100% Efficient)

CPU z 1.pngCPU z 1.pngCPU z 2.pngCPU z 3.pngCPU z 4.pngCPU z 5.png
I want to overclock my CPU and GPU. Is it possible?
If you are in need of some other information to answer my questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Yes, you should use an overclocking utility, and you should be careful as you overclock. Overclocking will stress older parts, and sometimes those parts will break. Once you find stable numbers, you should then go into your BIOS and make those numbers more or less permanent, or at least you can tell your motherboard those are the numbers you want it to use everyday.

Wouldn't recommend overclocking the CPU, the gains will be very minimal and you risk frying your CPU and RAM.

You should be able to overclock your GPU though, download MSI Afterburner and incrementally move the core and memory sliders up until you start getting artefacts while gaming to find your maximum overclock. As you're new to overclocking you shouldn't mess around with the voltage. Have a quick google to see what Mhz others are getting with the 5770.

Just remember to keep an eye on the temperatures in HWMonitor, for the GPU I'd say 90C is the maximum safe temp.

GPU is already factory overclocked. You can try pushing it higher, and I have no doubts you can, but I doubt you'd go very far.

Might make some games which were a little jerky more playable though.

p.s. No power supply is going to be 100% efficient.

Once question though: what do you plan to achieve with an overclock? What do you hope to achieve?

Back