Weekend Open Forum: Tech gear you travel with

Shawn Knight

Staff member

As a technology connoisseur, product reviewer, news editor and owner of my own tech site, I suspect I travel with more gear the average person would. For a quick weekend getaway, I typically only bring my phone and camera but business trips require the full loadout.

open forum tech

Above is a shot of what I will be taking with me on my trip to Las Vegas to cover the Consumer Electronics Show in January. In no particular order, this includes my iPad 2 (my first time traveling with an iPad), Logitech G700 wireless mouse, Logitech G930 wireless headphones, iPhone 4, Averatec notebook, 4GB MSI flash drive and my Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 20mm f/1.7 lens. I’ll tote everything around in my 2008 CES backpack that was provided by the show.

Now that you’ve seen my travel gadgets, we want to hear about what you travel with. Whether it’s for business or pleasure, feel free to share with us below. You can use our photo gallery or host your images elsewhere.

Permalink to story.

In about a month I'll be traveling to China, the flight from Colombia to Los Angeles takes about 7 hours and from Los Angeles to Shanghai takes 14, so I'm really planning to take as many gadgets as I can to distract myself (I can't sleep in planes). Along with me I'll have my iPhone 4, my trusty Lenovo Y460 (includes a GT550m for gaming), a Nikon D5000 D-SLR Camera, probably my dusty Nintendo DS Lite (which I haven't used in about a year), a Razer Orochi Mouse... that's probably it, I hope it helps a lot distracting me during those long flights :)

Hmmm, things which never really leave me are:

JVC Black Series HA-M750 Closed Headphones
FiiO e5 Portable Amplifier
Cowon iAudio 9 16GB

Samsung Galaxy S (Rooted and custom rom with custom kernel)
Fujifilm HS10 Hybrid Digital Camera.

THAT IS ALL.

At the top of my list is my Nikon D7000 with a few different lenses,
A Canon G9 as a backup camera,
Blackberry,
My iPod Touch 4G for tunes,
and my laptop. I don't currently have a tablet, though I intend on getting one in the very near future.

For a new tablet, I've narrowed my choices down to the #1 Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet, #2 Asus EEE Pad Transformer, and #3 Kindle Fire (which I may get along with one of the other two just for grins).

Hmm, let me think... my basics for travel: MacBook Pro, headphones and iPhone.
Then depending on the destination: Asus portable wi-fi router and spare ethernet cable, GPS, Canon Rebel XSi/Panasonic HD camcorder, and my desktop-sized mouse and mousepad (Razer Deathadder).

I'm a little anti-social I guess, I got rid of my cell because I missed being able to get away from people. As for gadgets, on the rare occasion I'll bring my laptop with me. If I'm going on vacation I'll bring my camera...

-I never even travel from the freezer to the microwave (college student) without my Motorola Atrix

-When I travel I make sure my ipod is fully charged and freshly updated with the songs I may or may not have just got from thepiratebay to insure sanity

-An 8 GB flash drive and a 2 GB spare in the event the 8 GB one gets washed again

-I remove the dust from my psp if its a long trip

-Last but not least a true geek is never fully dressed without his Multi-tool

... It seems Im an oddity without even owning a laptop but I had a nettop once that I hated due to lack of horse power and the unwillingness to pay for a nice one; considering I have a gaming PC at home and I paid lab fees I dont really have the need

My G2x (rooted, no custom roms or kernals...yet, lol)
If it's a long trip and i'm not driving, my dinky Archos 101 for watching movies
If i'm traveling out of town, my laptop and 1tb WD hard drive

HTC Desire HD w/ Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro headphones
Sony Nex 5 camera
Lenovo S205 AMD E-350 Fusion

Lets see newspaper, a book, my glasses so I can see real far out the window in hd. Something that takes time to eat like beef jerky, pistachios, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.

If I still had it id say my htc droid x smart phone with head phones.

btw i dont recommend wearing a back pack that says hd dvd or anything about electronics when traveling that just says please rob me

treetops said:
btw i dont recommend wearing a back pack that says hd dvd or anything about electronics when traveling that just says please rob me

I'm not sure anybody would rob your HDDVDs ;)

I travel with

-17 in MacBook Pro
-iPad
-Blackberry
-External HD
-Fatality Headset
-Razor Copperhead Mouse

All in my book bag for easy travel.

I travel with my MS-DOS computer complete with a CRT monitor and a cassette player or if I'm feeling really techy, a Sony Walkman!! If I have an extra backpack, I might bring a cellular phone, as long as I'm not planning to walk long distances, I have to be careful though because sometimes the antenna slips out and breaks.

Bringing a gaming headset and a gaming mouse everywhere with a crappy laptop... Are you retarded?

Maybe he plays cs/css/steam games..... surely mac can play them at least!

Day to day;
Galaxy S
Galaxy S2
Sony Ericsson W995
ZTE Blade/San Francisco
Work laptop - HP EliteBook
Ethernet cable, mouse, security cable
Three sets of earphones
PSP Go
Mobile chargers
Kingston Data Traveller 16gb
Toshiba gigabeat 60gb