Weekend Open Forum: What next-gen console(s) are you eyeing?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

open forum

We wouldn't be surprised if some of you have already put cash down on a next-gen console -- perhaps even several for different family members -- but most folks will consider their $400+ decision carefully, weighing each camp's first-party content and other exclusives before making what's likely to be a lengthy commitment.

I mostly stopped playing consoles in favor of PC games somewhere around a decade ago so I don't plan to get a Wii U, Xbox One or PlayStation 4, but I'd have a really hard time choosing between the latter two if put in the position. How about you? Do you plan to buy a next-gen console? Or again, maybe you already have?

Permalink to story.

PS4 all the way, though right now I do prefer the PC and I probably won't buy the PS4 in it's first year.

While I'm in the EU I'll not even get to see the Xbox One launch in it's first year and we pretty much know it's more advanced TV functions won't work.

The Wii U is just too... meh... right now.

Both to be fair, I could really go either direction this time around... I use my xbox primarily as a media consumption device, it bothers me that I will have to pay extra in order to stream from Netflix and the like. Pros and cons, at least I know one item will be a surprise this holiday season.

Probably wont buy any until they've been out a year. Then I will have a good idea of what I want. I will likely get the Wii U at some point plus one of the others. Xbox has the upper-hand as it is what I currently own and am most familiar with.

I usually get them all, by still keeping my PC up to date. Not very budget limited these times ;)

Do like I do and earn free money online (2nd job), lots of sites where you can save up for $400 in no time.

If a game comes out for PC, then I'll purchase it there versus the new console versions. My PC is pretty powerful as is, although I'd like to upgrade the CPU.

But to answer the question, I will be buying a PS4 but not in the first few months. The Xbox One may still be an option a few years from now.

For me PC really has the power to run any type of games. Consoles if you want to hook it up to the HDTV but so can the PC be done the same. PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 are fun but the cost of these games kinda keeps me just going the console. Wii good for certain stuff, but no where near PS3.

Well, the PS4 would be my go to system if there were games that I were interested in at lunch. But the Xbox One, as a media console has also grabbed my attention and for more than just games. I have no interest in the Wii U - I think it's overpriced and under supported. My local game store only has 1/2 shelf of games after however long it's been out.

For now, while things kind of cook, I'm sticking to my trusty and multitalented PC.

I Pre ordered the PS4.
I still have the receipt for my PS3 preorder for 999$ Ii will line up at the same store at midnight again same as 6 years ago. Dejavu. Lol
I will still mostly Game on PC because my PC is far more fun on 3 screens than just one big tv.

I Pre ordered the PS4.
I still have the receipt for my PS3 preorder for 999$ Ii will line up at the same store at midnight again same as 6 years ago. Dejavu. Lol
I will still mostly Game on PC because my PC is far more fun on 3 screens than just one big tv.

$999...That must have been more than just the console, right...Can you break that down for us...just for fun? :)

I'll pass on this round of consoles too. I don't have enough time (and money) to play all the latest stuff when I have a bunch of stuff through steam sales on my pc to keep me occupied. I'd rather upgrade my pc here and there. Plus I can do way more stuff with my pc that you can't do with a console (yet).

I have the ps4 and xbone in reserve, 2 of each. I will just resell them with a pretty good markup to the ones that couldnt get one. I am in it just for the money. I smell a nice upgrade to my pc once said in done lol.

Like a few others it seems, I will be waiting a while before purchasing any.
But my eye is on the PS4. Mostly due to the fact I have played on my Xbox 360 for just a few hours, and my ps3 infinitely more.
That said I no longer buy games for my PS3 just get them for free with the PSN+ now. Think the last one I bought was Portal 2, though I did get Battlefield 3 when I bought a replacement Playstation which doesnt count really as I wouldnt of bought it seperately.
I really have little interest in consoles now, and just hope more games on PC have support for the xbox wireless pad or something where a controller would be more benificial for something like GTA, because as much as some PC fanboys think that its totally awesome to use a KB mouse for it, no game with driving in should ever be done on keyboard, its just plain nasty.

I'm saving my money for a better PC, although I have friends that are getting both the PS4 and Xbox One.
So I'll have the enjoyment of messing with both.

Back