Weekend tech reading: Microsoft targets overweight gamers with new patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft targets overweight gamers with new patent A newly disclosed Microsoft patent application -- Avatar Individualized by Physical Characteristic -- takes aim at fat people, proposing to generate fat avatars in gaming environments for individuals whose health records indicate they're overweight, limiting their game play, and even banning them. Slashdot

WordPress 2.9 final is out The popular blogging platform has hit its latest milestone with WP version 2.9. Among some of its newest features you have global undo functionality, a built-in image editor that allows you to crop, edit, rotate, flip, and scale images, batch plugin updates and compatibility checking, as well as easier video embeds. WordPress Blog

Steam weekend deal: 50% off TF2 Team Fortress 2 is the sequel to the game that put class-based, multiplayer team warfare on the map. In addition to the free weekend of gameplay, Valve has reduced the TF2's price to $9.99 in celebration of its recent War patch. The deal ends today, so grab your copy before it's too late. Steam

Twitter attacked by 'Iranian Cyber Army' Twitter, the Web wunderkind with a $1 billion valuation, was attacked Thursday night by a group calling itself the "Iranian Cyber Army." The cyber attack was an alarming injection of apparent geopolitics onto the world's biggest social messaging service. The hackers, who took over Twitter's website for several hours, left a somewhat incoherent message that seemed to threaten the U.S. DailyFinance

Hands on: Moonlight 2 brings Silverlight 2, bits of 3, to Linux Novell has released Moonlight 2.0, a major update to its open source implementation of Microsoft's Silverlight rich Internet application framework. The new version introduces support for managed code and the DLR. Ars Technica

Permalink to story.

You hear that fat gamers? Put the fork and the controller down and go for a jog or Microsoft will ban you. ::rolls eyes::

Actually, you americans really need to be forced to loose some weight. No more hamburgers and games for you! :D

BTW i suspect that only those that truly are sick (very very very fat) will be restricted.

Ban overweight gamers. Doesn't seem to be a sound marketing plan...

Steam also has Torchlight for sale for $9.99, which IMO is more interesting than TF2.

Good for WP.

Nice deal for TF.

Fat players are one thing, I know I'm not thin but then there are those who go to a health issue point, some can't walk more than 20 minutes because they start cramping or having leg issues (Extreme ones). I find this intriguing, for one part this promotes healthy gamers and for the others this will become discrimination to something most people consider a sickness.

Maybe i am biased, but in 99% of cases, being overweight in a choice not a sickness. I know - I have been there. I think it is an interesting idea to have Avitars actually based on your physical appearance - if it helps people get healthy I am all for it.

You guys don't think this is going to be voluntary? Come on. Blind people are suing WOW for discrimination. Say what you will about MS, they're pretty good business people.

But I think that starting with the Wii, and moving towards natal and others, gaming is going to start integrating greater and greater amounts of physical interaction. It will no longer help you just to have quick hands and fingers, you're going to have to be quicker and stronger in other areas.

Hopefully the next generation of kids who grow up on gaming consoles will turn out to be a generation for whom playing games means breaking a sweat and getting tired, not sitting in front of a TV breathing through your mouth.

Nice to see Microsoft has access to our health records. What's next, our library checkout information? I guess if I check out anything related to Apple or Steve Jobs I'll be on Microsoft's black list.

I don't see how the fat application would be possible, because Microsoft CAN'T have access to our personal health information without our explicit consent...

Overweight fat guys with receding hairlines will pose as horny teenage girls on X-Box Live

What about the HIPAA. In Microsoft's world you play less when your fat. When we socialize medicine fat people in the government database will pay more. What if your health care records show you suffer from depression. Will microsoft find you a cliff to jump off of? If your medical records show you abuse alcohol you might just be dumb drunk in there virtual world.

cant you just sell diat software for the banned MS avatars then? ..could be a gold mine. ... and nice to .. you can exercise your avatar, so you yourself dont have to .

From Slashdot - "Microsoft also proposes shaping gaming experiences by using 'psychological and demographic information such as education level, geographic location, age, sex, intelligence quotient, socioeconomic class, occupation, marital/relationship status, religious belief, political affiliation, etc.' "

It isn't just the overweight people. They're bringing politics, religion and IQ into gaming as well. I think someone at M$ is drinking too much kool-aid.

Imagine playing a FPS game where you can't run because your character is fat like you.....xD

They are right to at least try to make these pigs get out and do a little bit of a workout. Being in the military it comes with the job, so I have no problems there :D

Wendig0 said:
From Slashdot - "Microsoft also proposes shaping gaming experiences by using 'psychological and demographic information such as education level, geographic location, age, sex, intelligence quotient, socioeconomic class, occupation, marital/relationship status, religious belief, political affiliation, etc.' "

It isn't just the overweight people. They're bringing politics, religion and IQ into gaming as well. I think someone at M$ is drinking too much kool-aid.

Sweet deal...so if you're fat, from the south,14-60 years of age and unmarried you're avatar is Jabba the Hutt wearing a wifebeater undershirt and a mullet "hairstyle", while parked up outside a welfare office in a rusting Trans-Am (with NASCAR decals liberally applied) with your mother hopped up on meth in the backseat...sounds like one damn fine (and busy) avatar to me...I'll order two....can I get fries with that?

yangly18 said:
They are right to at least try to make these pigs get out and do a little bit of a workout. Being in the military it comes with the job, so I have no problems there :D

I don't know if playing Modern Warfare 2 online counts as "Being in the military" !

It must have a lot of goodies, among customization not only in looks but in stats, how cool is that? To have bonuses and penalties from region to region, IQ, sex, etc etc.

Grow over the limitants.

I'm AF 2E153, well..now a 3D153...E3

that's ground radio, now known as Transmission Tech since they have merged satcom, radio and such careers.

Another M$ strategy.... to gain market share on SONY by any means possible. Ban the fat guys and gals that helped you (M$), the they will have to re-buy X-Boxes to play online again, as with the 1 mil they banned prior to MW2 release then post #s about how many consoles were bought. This is the only way possible for M$ to move consoles as they have nothing over SONY'S PS3.

M$ doesn't care about their fan-base, it's all about moving consoles and making money @ all cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back