Weird lock ups and powerdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Intel 865PERL motherboard with Intel P4 3Ghz HT CPU on it. Using Windows XP Pro with all updates installed. Recently I started experiencing this weird problem where my system would completely lock-up to a hilt with no return (mouse cursor dies, CTRL+ALT+DEL or ALT+TAB doesn't work) and I'd have to turn off and turn system back on or reboot thru the switch to get it running again. Also sometimes when I leave computer overnight, I wake up to find that it has shutdown on it's own (with no electric outage). I try turning it back on using the power button and it doesn't work. So I pull the electric plug off for a few seconds then plug it back on and power button works again and system starts as usual.

What could be the cause of these two problems (which I think might be related to each other) ? I'd appreciate if someone can help me diagnose the cause of this problem.

Sounds like it could be one of two things but let me say in advance, I am not one of the pros on this board, so don't listen to me as if I am a computer god. I ain't.

The random lock-ups sounds like your current windows installation may be corrupt. If you go to the "windows OS" section of this forum, there is an excellent sticky post there at the top with what to do.

It may also be that you have some conflicting drivers. Have you installed some new hardware lately? I'd try a system rollback (restore point) and see if that fixes your problem as well.

But as for the random shutdown, that could be your system overheating. Check your temps and see if they are high.

Actually I monitor temps all the time and there doesn't seem to be any problems with the temps. I have 8 fans running throughout the system so heating can hardly be an issue. :haha: I will look into Windows corruption but I have a feeling that problem is caused by the board or one of the components on the board.

Don't be so convinced it is a hardware problem... Mine was doing exactly what you describe (the lock ups, and ctrl-alt-del does nothing) just a few days ago. For me, it was conflicting drivers. The rollback didn't fix it for me unfortunately, and the windows repair function also couldn't fix it (it was my chipset drivers).

But I did a complete re-install of windows, and now my days of the lock up are GONE. It had nothing to do with hardware (in my case).

Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back