Western Digital hard drives: The differences between Black and Blue Series

TazarZero

For a while now, I've been curious to know what the differences are in the Western Digital Caviar Series.
So far as I know, Black is high performance, Green is eco-friendly and slow, but I'm not sure what the Blue series has to offer, other than a lower price tag.
Can anyone clearify what the techinical differences are between Black and Blue? For high performace reasons, I bought the Black series for my tower, but what would I have been missing out on had I gone for the Blue series?

Thanks in advance.

In theory, the Black is supposed to be the faster drive. In actuality, there isn't much between them. Speed rather depends on platter size and cache - The Black drives are either 32 or 64Mb cache, while the Blue drives top out at 32Mb.
Black drives carry a five year warranty, while Blue drives are three years which is probably of more significance.

Thank you, zero. Cache sizes have always been a part of my research on buying hard drives, but with the Blue series, I thought that maybe I hadn't come across a drive with 64Mb for Cache. Never crossed my mind that maybe they just weren't made. Thanks again for clearing this up for me.

I just got two more Blue TB with 32MB Cache. I never had an issue. Black is fast but noisy and the Green is slow because it's green to save power. Smaller sizes has 16MB for Cache

Back