What CPU should I buy on a £100 budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancell

I just bought the HIS HD 4670 IceQ Edition 1GB graphics card and its bottle necking on my pc..

My current cpu is intel pentium 3ghz..

I got £100 was less.. Which cpu would be best ??

I need intel socket 775 :)

I want to play my GTA IV... I no my NEW graphics card not amazing.. But it can play GTA IV.. Its on youtube.. reviews etc.. But it lags.. and my current cpu was like 98 usage in benchmark test :L

Also play cod4 :)

cheerz :)

I was just doing more searching..

£122.96 is pushing the boat out because at christmas im building a new pc anyway just trying give this one some life... and at £154.98 I could buy a http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131950 which is better and only like £30 more.. I really dont want to buy for that much.

So I come down a bit and found this which could be better then the £122.96 dual core one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148933 £104.98

Is this worth buying ? and isit good?

Cheerz :) Again :)

You always answer my questions :) lol!

of those, the Q6600 or the E8400 in gaming you will get the same result, if you also do things like video editing,multitasking, and rendering the 6600 will have an advantage. im personally not a fan of the 8200.
the E8400 will take your 4670 as far as it can go without worrying about being CPU limited if gaming is your priority. :) cheers

e8400 all the way dont waste your money on a 4 year old quad core when your building a new system in like 3 months.

Ancell, I think you're looking for a processor for your current mobo, right?
And for the rig you build in Christmas would you be using the same processor or a new one?

In case you are planning on buying a new processor for your later build then just go for the cheapest processor now that will not bottleneck your card. In that case the Q8200 will be fine enough for now. (But check your mobo CPU compatibility list.)

Yeah I got a p35 mobo.. Which support dual, quad.. So I should be ok there..

In that case il order the e8400 today if its going to be same as q6600 in game perfomrance :)

Its good to hear that the e8400 will bring out the max in my new card :)

I think my intel pentium 3ghz is slow.. And yesterday it just randomly froze.. I think my cpu has had it totally. It didnt freeze on the 7300 card I borrowed from me mate.. Think its 7300gs xD.. but it would on my 8600gt and now on this one.. Does bottle necking cause stuff like this?

And once again cheerz .. so the e8400, q6600 wil give me same performance in gaming?

Oh yeah also il just ask this aswell xD

Will I see a (big) difference when I replace it with my intel pentiumm 3ghz xD

(also yeah at christmas Im thinkin building a new machine tryin to save up around £800 so hopefully I can get some good stuff)

O and at christmas I would probaly buy a new processor everything new :) Apart from keyboard.. monitor.. mouse..

If you're buying a completely new processor in Christmas then just go for the cheaper Q8200 for your current build. No point spending more on the E8400 / Q6600 right now.

You should notice a big difference no matter which of these processors you're getting.

I dont mind spending a little bit more now on an E8400 if its better then the q8200?

If I wont see any difference between the two ?

Then il buy the q8200... Which one you reckon ?

If the E8400 or q8200 could run graphics cards like the new Nvidia GTX series then I would buy one of them and switch them into my new build at christmas.. But I dont think these would be good enough for them cards?

The E8400 will handle the GTX series just fine IMO. However, for your new build I would recommend you get something like the core i5.

Right now if you don't mind spending a little more money then definitely go for the E8400.

the E8400 will handle whatever card you throw at it, and the e8400 and the Q6600 are very close in game performance, due to the fact that most games only take advantage of 2-3 cores. the e8400 is 45nm as opposed to the Q6600 which is 65nm. the E8400 is a higher clock speed, and overclocks better as well.

don't buy the q8200 its not really a good cpu just get the e8400 and yes it will be a night and day difference over the Pentium 4 CPU you had it i would say is around 4 times as efficient as the old Pentiums and a lot faster even though the clock speeds are the same.

I ordered the e8400 with 1 day delivery :) So will be here tomorrow thanks for your help.. Il be checking back here when im going to build my next build aswell :)

As you just said red1776 funny enough I was just going to post about overclocking.. I have just reviews everywhere and lot people saying if you buy the e8400 you should at least overclock as its easy to overclock?

Is this true? I dont wanna screw it up. Last time I tryed overclock a cpu couldent get pc to start till I reset bios from mobo.. But hence my cpu was rubbish. People say they can get it 3.4 3.6 4.0 ... would any of them speeds improve it a lot ? If yes then im sure I can post around finding the safest way of OC it from bios. Hopefully there be no need to anyway.. but as I say lots people who have this on reviews keep saying its worth overclocking. :)

yes its a great overclocker many people can get 4Ghz on air cooling but a safe speed for you might be 3.6Ghz it will get there easy ohh also make sure you buy an aftermarket cooler for the cpu dont overclock using the stock cpu heatsink fan that comes with the cpu.

How much of an improvment will overclocking it make ? If its big difference... Il browse around for a cpu cooler... How much would half a decent cooler cost? Dont want to spend loads. But if overclocking it will make a good difference ? Then Il see :)

your looking at around 40 to 60 usd dont know how much that is where you live but the range is decent and also overclocking will make a pretty good difference imo.

overclocking is not a linear ruturn...in other words if you OC a 3.0 Ghz cpu to 4.0Ghz you wont see a 30% return, you will realize about half that though, and that's a big performance increase. like the boys are sayin, its a great OC'er and you can get to 4ghz on air with the E8400. if your uncomfortable pushing it, do what klepto said, 3.6 is real easy to get to with the 8400, and will net a nice performance boost. you also do not need to run OC'ed all the time, just when gaming or doing something intense, so you can create an OC profile and just crank it up when needed. as far as heatsinks, the Xigmatek and the Vendetta are inexpensive and perform extremely well. I have the vendetta I, here's a screen of my temps OC'ed from 2.8ghz to 3.8Ghz. I posted in this thread,
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic131988.html
Ritwik (the HSF King) has the Vendetta II so you can ask him about the big brother.

There Are Some Ifs But......

A P35 chipset may have an available update to use the E7X00 series C2D CPUs.

You would lose some cache but save some money.

The principal difference between the E8x00 series and the E7X00 is available cache, the ability to use virtualization and a faster FSB, (1066 vs 1333). Other than that, they're very similar.

So, for a price comparison here in the US @ Newegg, the E8400 (3.00Ghz) sells for $167.95 USD, and the E7500 (2.93Ghz) for $119.95. That's 48 USD, which I'm guessing is thirty something Quid.

The ancient Q6600 is far from the best option in either cost or performance for a gaming box.

Thanks for all the replys :)

Well hopefully my CPU will come today.... I dont really want to spend anymore money.. Because if I do build my new pc at christmas thats where I want the money.

At the moment... The only pc game Im currently playing is cod4. I use play crysis.. mirrors edge.. bioshock, far cry 2, race grid. etc.. But got bored of them xD

And I just want 125fps constent WHICH I am getting now kinda.. Im getting 80-125 with my new gfx card.. But it still lags hence the bottle necking.. Im hopein this is problem anyway. :) Please be the problem :) lol.

So if I get 125fps constent I wont overclock.

BUT... Im sure you all no GTA IV is a buggy game.. But I really want to play it.
It would be nice to play it now and not have to wait till my new pc.
I seen lower pc specs playin GTA IV with no lag on youtube. Benchmark on it got like 90 something cpu usage.. So hopeing this one will stop the lag? If it still lags or is slow.. Then I mite try an overclock.. I like the idea of an overclock profile :) Even tho I dont know how to make a profile sure I could find out. I heard it can get 3.4 with stock cooler ? But il let you know how it goes.

Thanks again sorry for long reply xD

Well, it seems that to play GTA 4 the first thing you'll have to upgrade is your OS. I think it'll require SP3. :p

Cpu Arrived :)

Yeah I just edit regedit so pc thinks it sp3 lol.. I will try GTA few days time or when Im bored...

Got new CPU today! And LOL! I hate installing cpu's just the fact of the little clips that u gotta click in.. anyway did da... BUT woah lucky escape started up pc.. Was making loud noise.. Got to load screen then me mind clicked.. Took pc apart again.. CPU cables was dangling down just tagging fan so lucky they didnt cut.. Got some erm tie backs anyway w.e der called so all good.. My game is good aswell... 125 CONSTENT! Can get 200 CONSTENT.. also when I look down or up I can get 333 .. (Bonus)

And I also go jump servers... I use to get like 400fps in jump servers even tho you dont need 400 xD.. With this Icpu aint tryed yet.. But will be better... I really hope It can play GTA IV.. Thanks for ya help.. I wont overclock but if GTA IV lags.. then I will.. :) Im sure one you no safest way xD

but woah lucky. If cables had cut.. I wudda smashed everything in this room lol.. then we would be buying new pc now not christmas xD

Also.. the e8400 has strong cables :L lol they dont cut lol. Bonus :L
I cant hear my pc aswell ? Use to be hear it xD
10/10 for techspot and help and the new cpu :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back