What does FX means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hi guys,
may be a very silly question but i really dont know what does FX means regarding graphics cards. Like mine is AGP 128mb 5200 fx. they also come in 6600fx, 7400fx etc etc. so what does FX denotes here??
thanks in advance
AND PLZ DONT MAKE FUN OF ME..........PLZZZZZZZZZ

I would say that it is just the graphic card series "identification". I don't think it really means anything. FX is just one of the many series names, like GT and GS. I could be wrong but that is what I would say it means. :D

FX is what Nvidia used in naming a series of their cards. 5000 series and another more expensive one I believe. There are no 6600fx, 7400fx, etc.
FX5200, FX5500, etc

Normally is like GeForce xxxx etc
LE, GS, GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra
7300LE
7600GS
8600GT
8600GTS
8800GTX
8800 Ultra
something like that

It is a marketing association, created by whizbangs, rather than engineers or designers. It refers to the old movie days of the 40's 50's and 60's when it was short for Special Effects and Special Affects.
FX was added on, after the design parameters... and it generally associates those with a certain series of processors and processes... You can usually assume they will perform in similar ways, with performance of one in a series, a bit better than the previous one...
As in most marketing, they go a bridge too far... as they try to squeeze every last bit of buzz out of them. It is hell to think up a new series that gets the attention of users, journalists, promoters, and sales grunts in quite the same way.

Ohh...I thought FX means like GPU frequency or something. like 5200 Fx means 5200 k/m/g hz frequency of GPU operation....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back