What is Quantum Computing?

I don't know, this all just sounds like another 'Fusion Power' thing...Its always 20yrs away from being practical for anything other than scientists to pump governments for ever more research cash.

I don't know, this all just sounds like another 'Fusion Power' thing...Its always 20yrs away from being practical for anything other than scientists to pump governments for ever more research cash.

I should now note one of Europe's test fusion power plants is currently in process of pre-heating for a full-scale test to be performed in a couple of years.

The problem isn't really fusion; we can do that easily enough. It's "sustaining" it that's the problem; we're working with some very small margins of error, and that's what's causing most of the issues. The actual "generate fusion" part's been done for decades now; it's just getting it past a few seconds at a time that's the killer.

It's basically a faster way to mine Bitcoin... only now, you can mine all of them at once.

Exactly.

If you both ordered a traditional PC and a Quantum based "PC" that behind the 10 doors, there's the key. All it needs todo is open the door(s) and find the key in order to solve the puzzle. The approach of the standard PC would be opening up door by door untill it finds the key. With Quantum you'll open all 10 doors at the same time and have that key way faster.

But as written it's still in "Vacuumtube" stage, a analog definition of how far we actually are with quantum.

If Nintendo is still around when they release quantum home consoles, I really really hope they make the Nintendo Q64 or perhaps the Nintendo GameQubit or Superposition Nintendo.

Quantum Mechanics is nowadays kinda outdated. In 2001 Quantum was sold to Maxtor, and in 2005 Maxtor was sold to Seagate. So if you have a HDD it's probably Seagate Mechanics inside.

The author claims that quantum computing is at a stage equivalent to the vacuum tube one in classical computers. I don't think so. ENIAC was a vacuum tube beast that could solve real problems. Current quantum computers have been able to solve trivial ones, or problems specifically posed so that they can be solved by quantum computers, and without any application otherwise. And that's where they have been stuck for more than ten years now.

If anything, quantum computers are at a stage similar to the initial stages of analog computers, with two important differences. First, those primitive analog computers already could solve nontrivial problems; and second, it was clear that more powerful analog computers were just a matter of time. As of today, it remains to be seen whether quantum computers will ever become anything other than curiosities with no relevant practical applications.

Quantum computing sounds great on paper but how does that relate to consumer products and services? If there's no money to be made how is this anything more than a pipe dream of scientists.

Quantum computing sounds great on paper but how does that relate to consumer products and services? If there's no money to be made how is this anything more than a pipe dream of scientists.
Did you read any of this article? Or just felt like trolling?

I would suggest that the Author has a look at DWave Systems, Rigetti and IBM's Quantum platforms for commercially viable QC platforms. Additionally, have a look at the difference between Quantum Annealing and Quantum Gate technologies and where / how these technologies differ and the benefits both bring to solving modern complex computing problems.

Quantum Mechanics according to the late Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics:

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

'Nuff sed.

Back