• 1900+ (1.60GHZ)

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 2000+ (1.67GHZ)

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

svtcobra

Now take in to consideration that I would be buying a new KT333 mobo and HSF with this what CPU speed would you think is the best bang for the buck today...

1800+ without a doubt

It's priced @ 107$ HERE. It's been out for a while too so they're probably having good yields on the ones out now.

I was thinknig of the 1900+ originally but if I go with the 1800+ I could put some more money into the mobo. Good call on the yeilds, Didou..I never thought about that. 1800+ seems to be the popular along with the 2000+

If you are planning on overclocking I'd suggest to look for that kind of information first... often slower clocked CPUs overclock better than the faster ones, for obvious reasons...

If you won't overclock, I would usually say to buy the best you can afford however looking at the prices I would say you should be better buying a 1800 or 1900+.

2000+, of course :p
If you have the money, of course...

I would reccomend getting a 1500+, then unlocking it and take it up to a 19+...

If you don't want to do that, just get a 19+ then.

Strictly, it depends on what you're gonna do with it!

I looked at the price from the 1600 up to the 2000 and at the time the 1900 was the cut-off before the price jumped. Thats what I have now and thats what I like. Probably stay here or go to 2200-2400 if they are made and my board supports it. I think I can only get 2100 or 2200. Anyway, can't wait til the 7000 Hammer (ooppsss) Opteron comes out....;)

Originally posted by Arris
Yeah, where is the poll option to tell you to hang on for the Opteron! ;) :p

Well, I was thinking of getting something in the next couple of days...

You should go with whatever makes the most sense price wise. You wont notice a difference between the 3 processors you just posted. I dont suggest that you OC them because they are plenty hot already and i'm sure you wouldnt want to have to buy the same processor twice. I have the 1900+ and i've used the 2000+ quite a bit and i notice no difference whatsoever. If you go for the 2000+ it will be only for bragging rights. :)

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
If you go for the 2000+ it will be only for bragging rights. :)

Hehehe...I have the 19+ right now and I often tell people it's a 20+. Noone can tell the difference, besides probably 5 points in whetstone/dhrystone tests!

First, I'd ask what kind of budget you have. If money isn't an issue I'd say go for the biggest. But if money iss an issue, I'd suggest dropping back a little and investing the rest in RAM.

svtcobra,

Hmmm. Cuke has a good point: is 140mhz worth the extra $$$. :confused:

In that same vein is the extra 200mhz (from the 1.33 you have to the 1800+ @ 1.53) worth the $107? I don't know what you do with your computer, but it seems (based on your sig line) that you have a good system already.

If it is just for braggin' rights: lie in your sig that you have the 2000+ & donate the $$$ to a worthwhile charity. :D

If it is for business (tax write-off) go for the gusto & get the 2000+ now & the next generation when it comes out. :grinthumb

Just my opinion, but I do wonder why some people have to have the latest 'state-of-the-art' components just to play games. Kinda silly to me. :p

Thanks for your time,

Originally posted by JAV
Just my opinion, but I do wonder why some people have to have the latest 'state-of-the-art' components just to play games. Kinda silly to me. :p

Where I live, there aren't any AthlonXP available under 1700+. If I decide to order, the shipping will make it cost as much as the local store so I don't even bother anymore.

It's not that people have to have the latest, but if they can afford it, why not ? It doesn't hurt to serve yourself a little treat once in a while.;)

Originally posted by StormBringer
I don't need the fastest, it just has to be faster than my best friend's. :grinthumb

Ahhh I am glad someone else thinks like me. I am going to build a machine for a friend and he said, make it as fast as yours, I said, sorry can't do that, mine has to be faster. ;)

Ive pretty much decided on the XP1800+. I just cant see spending 100.00 more for the 2000+. I want to also get a really high end mobo like the ABIT AT7 or the new Soyo KT333. Maybe Im crazy even replacing my current rig but the price is so good right now..

First, I'd ask what kind of budget you have. If money isn't an issue I'd say go for the biggest. But if money iss an issue, I'd suggest dropping back a little and investing the rest in RAM.

Hi Storm, Money isnt the issue, its the principle of the matter. Like I said above the 100.00+ difference between the 1800 and the 2000 is not worth it in my opinion.

I may go to PC2700 memory..Im not sure yet. I have PC2100 ddr right now and it overclocks pretty good..

sounds good, I settled on the 1600 myself (mainly because Rick seemed to say good things about it) and sunk the rest into CRUCIAL PC2100 DDR, 1536MB the max my board will hold. This was in January.

I have a new one, it is most definatly gonna be a 2 gig + Hammer from AMD in the fall or early next year !!!

I bought the XP1900 and changed the FSB to 137 to get it to recognize as an XP2000 :D . No real reason for this except to see it register at 2000 instead of 1900. Honestly, I bought the best XP I could afford until the Hammer is released. With the minimal differences in Mhz the only REAL difference is in price. Unless you're in to bragging rights, get what you can afford.

sounds good, I settled on the 1600 myself (mainly because Rick seemed to say good things about it) and sunk the rest into CRUCIAL PC2100 DDR, 1536MB the max my board will hold. This was in January.

WOW! 1536 ram..That is alot of memory. Do you have any stability issues with that much ram? Sometimes the Via chipsets dont like to have all 3 slots used up..

So Ive decided on one of two things..Kepp my mobo and just buy the chip. I can get the 1900 for short money now..Or I can go ahead with a whole new mobo/cpu setup. I just want to make sure that the new VIA KT333 chipset will be leaps and bounds over my current AMD 761 chipset. My computer runs very stable so I dont want to get some mobo that is going to cause me headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back