what's that back panel connector plate called?

By gsgleason ยท 7 replies
Sep 15, 2003
  1. Some motherboards have a different configuration for the back panel, where the com ports, printer port, LAN, audio, game and usb ports go. My motherboard came with one because it's atypical, and I need another. What are they called and where can I get them?

    Also, is there a correct way to install these? I bent up the back of my case trying to get it in ght first time...
  2. Nic

    Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

    Its called an I/O Shield. They simply snap into position from inside the case. Be careful when installing your mobo, so as not to damage the earthing contacts on the I/O Shield.
  3. iss

    iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

    it's called the I/O plate or panel. check your mobo manufaturer for a replacement.

    I dont have a clue how you would bend up the back of your case installing one since they are basically just a snap in press fit type install. ( they fit from the inside)
  4. gsgleason

    gsgleason TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

    it was super duper tight fit!! There are these metal clips all around it...like 50 of them, and it was so hard to get it. I think I ended up using a hammer.

    Isn't there an industry standard for these? I am putting my stuff into a new thermaltake case, and I don't want to pry that thing out and put it in my pretty new case.

    Here's a picture of the board io connectors. I swear I can't find one to fit it.

  5. iss

    iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

    the I/O panels are all the same sizee it is just the configuration of the openings that is different. so if there is a problem it would be with your case not being to spec.
  6. gsgleason

    gsgleason TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

    If you notice the Lan and USB ports at the bottom, it's quite non-standard.
  7. Rick

    Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,572   +65

    It's the "new" standard... But still standard.
  8. Greeno

    Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 281

    If your mobo came with one, its because it's not standard like you say, from experience, I know alot of Intel and Gigabyte boards do this, but I wouldn't know how you would just get a replacement one, You'll have to try using that one I'd guess.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...