WhatsApp CEO sets the record straight on Facebook partnership as it relates to privacy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum is hoping to put to rest any concerns about member privacy in light of the pending Facebook acquisition. Koum used a recent blog post to help clear up what he described as a lot of inaccuracies and careless information that’s been circulating about the future partnership.

In the post, Koum said he wanted to set the record straight on his company’s stance. The executive recited a brief story about one of his strongest childhood memories growing up in the USSR in the 1980s where he’d often hear his mother talking on the phone. She’d tell people that “this is not a phone conversation” and that she’d relay whatever matter was at hand in person instead.

She feared that her communications would be monitored by the KGB which is one of the reasons why his family moved to the US when he was a teenager.

As such, Koum said respect for user privacy is coded in their DNA and they built WhatsApp around the goal of knowing as little about its users as possible. They don’t need to know your name, your e-mail address, your birthday, your home address, where you work or anything else. Data like that has never been collected and stored by WhatsApp and they have no plans of changing that.

Koum added that if partnering with Facebook meant they had to change their values, they wouldn’t have done it. That said, the future partnership will not compromise the vision that brought WhatsApp to this point and their focus remains the same.

Permalink to story.

Wow, and just this weekend we read about how Zuck over at FB is protecting our privacy from the govt, and now we're reading about this dude protecting our privacy from FB. And he's using the USSR and the KGB as an example?! He says Whatsapp won't ever need to know your email or birthday... cause that's real KGB-style invasion of privacy right there. I knew gross exaggeration on the internet was the norm, but it's a little disconcerting to hear it from an internet mogul.

Koum added that if partnering with Facebook meant they had to change their values, they wouldn’t have done it.
@Jos - Exactly... his bank account has enough in it to make counting the commas difficult. I don't blame the guy for cashing in on a huge payday, but it really makes me roll my eyes to hear someone say they'd pass on a pile of cash large enough to make Donald Trump blush just if it meant changing their values.

I don't believe it for a second and apparently neither do many. Facebook has a long history of promising not to use user data for advertising purposes, only to do just that. I hope the FTC blocks the acquisition.

Back