Which mobo to get with this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i'm new to building computer and after doing some research and seeing how easy it is i'm going build a whole new rig to update my 3yr old p4 rig i'm using now.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
Either this or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017
Would I notice a difference in gaming if I went with the quad core... the price is almost the same so whichever will do me better in the long run i'll get.

MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329
Is there any difference in this one and the EVGA 8800GT, from what I could tell they had the exact same specs but the MSI one was 25$ cheaper.

Well thats what I plan on buying, right now I have a 250GB SATA hardrive which is plenty for my needs and a Rosewill 500wat PSU. My case is just some crappy v2 case, is it worth buying another? Also there's not too much room in my case to add more 120mm fans... does it hurt if I just cram them in there?

What I really need help with is which mobo to buy. I have a decent understanding of how all the other computer parts work and which are the best to get for my budget but as for as Mobo's go i'm at a complete lost. I'm looking for something around the 100$ range, cheaper is better if it'll do what I need but if not I don't mind shelling out the dough for the 100$ range. Any suggestions?

Oh and before I forget... when you buy a new CPU it comes with the heatsink and thermal paste doesn't it or do you have to buy that seperatly?

Unless you're going to be using a 64-bit OS, I would opt for only 2GB of RAM. I would also aim for DDR2 1066MHz RAM over DDR2 800MHz RAM as a lot of motherboards today support the former.

You're actually better off with the E8400 if you're going to be gaming. From my understanding, it's performance is significantly better than the Q6600 as far as games are concerned, primarily (I believe) due to the higher clock frequency.

I don't know if you'd be comfortable with purchasing an "Open Box" product, but here is an okay deal on a motherboard: ASUS P5K-E (retail price being $139.99). I've purchased "Open Box" items before, never had an issue, if that offers any comfort at all :). If you decide on that motherboard, take a look at this RAM: OCZ 2 x 1024MB DDR2 1066MHz.

In my opinion, it's probably worthwhile to purchase a new case if you feel that fitting all of these new components in your chassis will be a tight squeeze. You don't want everything packed tightly as it will restrict airflow and you'll probably run into issues with heat dissipation. It might not be required (as in, your system will power on etc.), but you might want to consider purchasing a more reliable PSU.

If the CPU is a "Boxed" version, it will come with a heatsink etc. If it's labeled as an "OEM" device, it will likely not be shipped with the goodies.

I'd recommend getting a P35 based board, like the EP35-DS3L. If you're new to building, then I'd suggest avoiding open box, as there is a significantly higher chance of running into problems (DOA, missing parts).

I'd probably avoid buying "Open Box" if it were an unknown company - but I'd trust Newegg as you are protected from DOAs via their return policy. The P5K-E happens to be based on the P35 :).

eVGA, Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte (I second vnf4ultra on the e EP35-DS3L), MSI, Biostar... No reason to get Quad Core. Doubt you would see the difference between the D8400 and the Q6600... Quad Core is just fancy engineering and marketing that hasn't shown up in actual performance by much.
But I would drop the Rosewill power supply like a hot rock... that is not a desirable power unit equal to the rest of your selections.

Zenosincks said:
I'd probably avoid buying "Open Box" if it were an unknown company - but I'd trust Newegg as you are protected from DOAs via their return policy. The P5K-E happens to be based on the P35 :).

I don't really want to argue, as buying open box is really an opinion question with no "right" answer, but to me, I'd want to reduce any possibility of hassle if I were a first time builder. The first time you build you have enough questions and concerns and adding more potential for problems is not a good idea IMO. Also, with open box, sometimes you won't get anything but a bare board.

Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.
In most cases the boards do come with all accessories though, but it's a bit of a crap shoot.

You do get 15 days of "refund period," but I don't like the part below this line.

Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

You could have a really good deal with open box or it could be a nightmare, and there's really no way of knowing until you get it.

@Dryst99, the GA-P35-DS3L is for about $115 or so with shipping on Newegg and is an excellent motherboard for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back