Which version of Windows 7 should I install? 32 or 64-bit?

robertq

I am getting a new pc from Dell & it comes with 64 bit Windows -7 ( Home Premium ) which I am upgrading to Ultimate Version.

I am not sure if I should get the 64 bit version or not. I am not sure if all of my applications would work with 64 bit. Do I need to change my applications to 64 bit too or old 32 bit applications work fine with 64 bit OS ?

The specs are as follows.

Intel Core i7-2600 Processor (3.4GHz, 8MB Cache)
12GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory
500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing
1GB ATI Radeon HD5770 Graphics
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1200 Hybrid Analog/Digital TV Tuner

Thank You

I would go with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 as this increases the amount of Ram the system can address and there are some performance advantages. There's no problem running 32 bit applications, in fact Microsoft actually recommends going with the 32 bit version of Microsoft Office 2010 for additional functionality that has not been ported to the 64 bit version.

I am running Windows 7 ultimate on my other computers and all my applications (32 bit) with no problem at all. I thought it will be a problem but turned out very good.

Unless you have old 16bit applications or some pretty old unsupported hardware you are going to connect to that computer there is no reason not to run 64bit.

In fact, if you are intending on running 32bit, then you just wasted a lot of money buying 12 Gigs of RAM.

Even with the old 16 bit applications you can always run Virtual PC with XP Mode, need Windows 7 Pro or better ... basically it's a free copy of Windows XP Pro.

FWIW.. Ask Dell what the price difference would be for you to go with Win 7 Pro as opposed to Ultimate. There really isn't but two differences between them with one being that Ultimate can be used with 35 different languages so, if Pro is alot cheaper you might could save a few bucks and never know the difference in the OS. Just my opinion.

1. "Work in the language of your choice and switch between any of 35 languages"

2. "Help protect data on your PC and portable storage devices against loss or theft with BitLocker."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Since your OS is 64bit already, your best bet is to stick with it and upgrade to Ultimate 64bit. Also, if you were to move from 64bit to 32bit, you would have to start fresh (clean installation), and install new drivers. Likewise, you can more cost effectively move from Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate with an Anytime Upgrade. Let us know what you decide on.

Back