Is there any easy way to migrate from a 32-bit Win 10 installation to a 64-bit installation?

ravisunny2

Hi,

I have Win 10 (Home Edition). For fears that drivers might not be available, I was advised by my PC support person to install the 32-bit version. My motherboard supports 64 bits.

There was even the fear that I might have trouble with drivers for the 32-bit installation. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Win 10 was able to provide the necessary drivers for the motherboard, audio, video, printer, etc.

Now I am considering moving to the 64-bit platform. Again there is some apprehension that some driver problems could occur. Moreover, some add-on software on my PC may not run on the 64-bit installation.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there any way to test for compatibility of my hardware and add-on software for the 64-bit installation?

2) Is there any way I can move from the 32-bit to the 64-bit Win 10 OS without a compleletely fresh install?

Thank you.

The above will address the 64bit transition of ONLY the OS itself.

Y O U will need to verify each application for 64 bit comparability.

Thank JB. Good info.

"The Windows 10 upgrade checker [GWX] and Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant check all these items."

Turns out the upgrade checker opens this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

I may have missed something, but there doesn't seem to be a tool to test for Win 10 64-bit compatibility.

Yes, I will have to check each add-on software for compatibility.

I was quite happy to Win 10 has a great re-installation feature, and I had occasion to use it.

I know it is asking for a lot, but I was hoping that there was an option for re-installation but using the 64-bit version.

I think the full Win 10 installation file is already present on the PC.

I'll just have to wipe the system partition and reinstall. I wonder what effect the hidden partition will have.

I think the full Win 10 installation file is already present on the PC.
Not likely, just too much duplication that would not be used.

I'll just have to wipe the system partition and reinstall. I wonder what effect the hidden partition will have.
Issue would be necessity to reload everything AND all your personal data too.
The MB drivers for 64bit will be needed and are NOT provided via the installer.

Not likely, just too much duplication that would not be used.

Well I did a re-installation without using the original USB.

Issue would be necessity to reload everything AND all your personal data too.
The MB drivers for 64bit will be needed and are NOT provided via the installer.

Okay, I'll have to check whether the MB CD has the 64-bit drivers.

My personal data (not related to my installation) is on three other partitions.

Back