Which wireless router should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOrcus

Tech Spot seems to be a good place to get advice...

I am looking to buy a new router and I have done some reviewing myself but would like to get some suggestions from anyone who has had good hands on experience with newer models.

The last router I bought was in 2006 or 2007 can't recall now and still is my Current Model "Linksys WRT54GX-UK Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX Technology" with the latest firmware V2.

I currently use following devices on my network.

2 Desktops PC'S Wired (both running XP Pro SP3)
1 Dlink Print Server
1 Wireless Laptop (XP Pro SP3)
PS3 Slim connects wirelessly (Get's 8Mb download 0.5Mb upload)
Nintendo DS wirelessly

Main reason I won't to upgrade is for a Gigabyte connection for my network as both the network cards are capability of this. People may say it won't make much difference but I would just like it.

Things to take into consideration:

I will be upgrading\replacing one of the desktops with Win7 Pro Desktop.
I will be upgrading\replacing the laptop with a Sony Vaios laptop with Win7 Pro.

Any suggestions...?

Thank you, Kind regards
David

I am using a D-Link DIR-628 wireless router. It is very nice and can handle over five wireless devices(that's the most I have tried at once, might be more) along with 4 or 5 available wired ethernet ports. With my home comp and Wii(wireless) and 360(wireless) and 3 wireless laptops connected, they all get as high a speed as with just one connected, which is really fast.

The speed will primarily be based on your ISP so if you have a crappy connection anyway, a router won't help you at all.

I really think you get what you pay for in routers. I tried to 'cheat' the system and get a cheap Wireless N router without gigabit lan since most of my big transfers were going to happen wirelessly (streaming hd movies over wireless to my Mac Mini connected to HDTV). I found out that the router crapped out fairly regularly if there were new wireless connections (coming home and reconnecting a netbook or laptop).

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Linksys WRT-320N and I'm very pleased with it, I run torrents continously on it, and have had 6 wireless connections and 2 wired connections working at once with no issues at all. Only problem was its a bit pricey, think I paid $109 or $119 for it. There is another one I didn't see at the time that is 1 step up from mine that will do dual band at the same time, I don't know too much about that, but I think that might be good for you if you want to have the DS connected because I think that is 802.11b only right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back