Why does my 6850 run at 100% (sometimes)

pioneerx01

I have just build new rig with HIS 6850, ASRock 870 Extreme 3, and 1090T.

When I play latest COD (Black Ops) all at maximum it runs fine, same for all Half life games and Portal (all I have played with new PC thus far). But if I play COD MW2, all at max the GPU heats up to 90C with fan at 100%. Same for Red Alert. There is no reason why it sould run 90C/100% on those "older" games when my old 9800GTX pulled it off just fine with no overheating.

Yes, I have the latest drivers.

Thoughts?

So are those older games pirated? If so they will not have the latest game updates which can make them conflict with your latest drivers causing you to over heat. I tried a crysis demo years ago and it ran like crap on my computer because the demo had not been updated in so long. But when I bought the game it ran fine on max. There demo actually crashed my computer a few times.

It turns out that the Cacatlist Control center seems to be causing the issues. Once I uninstalled it the fan no longer goes to 100%. I can not verify it or the temperature, but you can hear that it is not spinning 100% anymore and the games seem faster as well...

Can't say I've noticed issues like that with my card. Maybe a bug with the thermal control of the control center. I'd look into seeing if you can set a max FPS on those games. If you can force that somehow, it should make the vid card work less.

I would definitely recommend installing some third party software to monitor your temperatures. While 90C is within the limits, it's still rather high and you should be watched. I myself have a 6850 and personally never experienced an issue like yours. I am aware of problems with the XFX 6850's causing the fan to spin-up really high, like in your situation. However that was all the time, and XFX came out quickly with a bios fix. Just keep a close eye on the card as that is not normal.

Back