why Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk_once

for the last few month i was longin for a new pc, up to now i could not convince me to by a store-pc with vista.. i just set up kubuntu on my old one.. what's about the 64bit systems?

Why Vista?

That's a very vague question... but the answer really is, I guess, "because that's what Microsoft wants you to do."

If you plan on using Windows on your machine, Vista is the way to go in the future. Some time soon, Microsoft will abandon Windows XP, as we have seen them abandon 95/98 , etc. In the end, computing is about looking to the future, and as far as Microsoft is concerned, the future is with Vista.

But its your machine. Do what you want on it. Don't let anyone else tell you what OS to use - make up your own mind. Run Ubuntu if that's serving your needs. If XP is, right now, doing everything you want it to do, then stick with it. Or if you think another Linux - or FreeBSD, or Solaris - is for you, then run that. Don't just do what Billy Gates wants.

Now, I've been running Vista on one of my 2 thinkpads for a while now, and I have this to say about it:

-It looks totally cool.
-You don't need the "killer" machine with 2 dual-core CPUs, SLI with 512MB cards, 5TB of RAM people seem to think you do. Any relatively new machine runs it just great, Aero Glass and all.
-Fonts are much better, easier to read.
-I've been able to make just about everything work under Vista as I did XP, I just needed to give certain applications administrative rights to run, because the security model has been changed.
-There's a great deal of "under the hood" stuff that's vastly improved.
-It has given Windows a much needed update.

Personally, I am all for it - but don't listen to me any more than you would Billy Gates - make up your own mind. I'd recommend giving it a go, if you can afford the licence and are willing to accept that certain things that work on XP are only in the process of being updated for Vista now. But its always the same story with any new Windows version, and in about 1-2 years Vista will be the norm and there will be no compatibility issues. Do you want to wait, or run it now, or forget Microsoft Windows altogether - that's the questions you must ask.

Oh, you asked about 64-bit. The 64-bit version of Vista has a locked down kernel and some other improvements that will initially break a bunch of stuff, but will ultimately have value I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back