Will I have enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone153

Im going to get a new power supply. ASPIRE ATX-AS600W-BL ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W Power Supply 115/230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950

Im getting a eVGA 256-P2-N384 Geforce 6800 256MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card. This needs a 300W power supply.

If I have:

1 CD/DVD drive
1 Floppy drive
2 hd (1 internal, 1 extrenal)
600W power supply

If I get the video card which needs 300W, will it have enough power for it to run?

AtK SpAdE

Just to clarify..

The requirement of 300w does not mean that the card will use all 300w. Rather it means that the total power (all of the components) need a 300 watt PSU.

But that is a bit conservative estimate in my opinon.

But With a 600 watt PSU (if it is of good quality) should be more then enough to power you rig.

AtK SpAdE

I think the better question is to ask how much you looking to spend.

Yes many 500 watts will power that system with not trouble, but if you get a cheap-o power supply (no matter the wattage) you risk lock-ups restarts, and a general pain in the a**.

Many people over look PSUs when upgrading their machine, then with the last few dollars in their budget spring for a low quality PSU, which is a bad idea.

We could of course give you some recomendations, but it would help to know how much you looking to spend.

Here are a few that i know of from expirence that are good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104155

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103929

beerabuser30

I would say so. You could get a cheaper power supply at 600w from some generic maker but that doesn't mean that it is better.

AtK SpAdE

stay away from that cooler master.

Yes that antec (430W) will power you system very nicely. Antec is a very high end brand, and you will not be dissapointed.

I would not spend less then 50 or 60 bucks on a PSU. High wattage at a low cost is nota good idea.

Mirob

This is the best place to read about PSU's http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Cooler Master and FSP hold down the low price end.

I have a Cooler Master 350w Real Power, I runs my 530j at 4ghz with a radeon 9600. I don't know your cpu, but a 4ghz prescott uses much power.

I also have a Antec True Power 430 and a FSP 450w. They power comps on the same desk. One day I had a glitch in my power. The computer with the FSP restarted and and one with the Antec kept on fine. Both are pluged into the same UPS with a dead battery.

AtK SpAdE

Im not doubting your story at all...i own a prescott, and while they are power hungry, theyve got nothing on a 6800 (as far as power consumption)

Like i said go with the antec (FSP are not bad though)

Sean

truflip

then the forton 400watt PSU is right for u. it has the best value and also has a super quiet 120mm fan. I have the 450watt version and hasnt give ne sign of defect or poor performance wahtsoever. highly recommended brand :grinthumb

Mirob

AtK SpAdE said:
Im not doubting your story at all...i own a prescott, and while they are power hungry, theyve got nothing on a 6800 (as far as power consumption)

Like i said go with the antec (FSP are not bad though)

Sean
Funny, I never seen I heat sink on a GPU like the ones used on CPUs.

And 195 five egg reveiws(some with a 6800) for that PSU (not that newegg reviews mean much) may mean something.

truflip

someone153 said:
Would it workin a dell?
definitely.. unless dell built the computer case and built their own PSUs so u can only use theirs n only theirs :S i havent had any problems intalling an aftermarket PSU on a 'proprietary' company liek Dell

zachig

I'm not experienced with ASPIRE Power Supplies, but if this PSU is a decent one with real Pure Power of 600W I bet your can run with it even 2x7800GTX in SLI-mode. You shouldn't be worried at all!!!

Enjoy you new system!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.