First time building computer, have some parts lined up

Any advice is greatly apreciated.
I found all this on newegg.com

Case- Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow Computer Modular Case 1 x USB 3.02 x USB 2.0 -$179.99
Motherboard Compatibility-Mini-ITX / microATX / Standard ATX
Cooling System- 2 x front variable-speed 120 mm blue LED fans with stepless control knobs
1 x rear 120 mm TwoCool blue LED fan
2 x side 120 mm TwoCool blue LED fans for graphics cards cooling

MotherBoard- ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $204.99

Graphics Card- HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity -$219

Memory- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL -$99.99

Power supply- Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W Continuous@40°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular Cable Design,ATX12V v2.3/ EPS12V,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply -$129.99

Hard disk drive- Western Digital VelociRaptor WDBACN6000ANC-NRSN 600GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive- $279.99

Operating system- Windows 7 Pro

Processor-Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950 -279.99

BluRay Burner-LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support - Bulk – OEM -$89.99

or

SONY Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Burner BD-5300S-0B - OEM- $110

I would seriously consider a Corsair for your power supply and you don't need 1000 watts

So would this be better?

Professional Series™ Gold AX850 — 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully-Modular Power Supply

And a friend of mine who built his said he used a kingwin power supply. I was wondering if that was more bang for the buck.

Both AMD and Intel should have new platforms coming out in the next 2-3 months, I'd be tempted to hold off until them for either new superdupercomputer equipment or reduced prices on the older stuff. That's just me though, and you can't always wait for new stuff to be released all the time or you'll wait forever :)

Ya I dont know i might wait i might not it depends wether or not i know which parts im getting, i wanna be positive its the right computer i wanna build and i dont wanna spend too much money!!

I agree with the previous posts; you don't need a whopping 1 kilowatt PSU for this setup. A 850W PSU is enough, as long as it has a really good amperage. Corsair is more or less famous for having high amperage on their PSU's. Still, I've had some pretty bad experiences with Corsair's PSU's.

More or less any continuous 850W-PSU will do the trick, I reckon.

And Kingpin had a pretty neat brand of PSU's - but something big happened a while ago, so I don't really know if they still offer PSU's.

Very bad advice to be giving out I'm afraid to say, unless the statement "Continuous" plays any part in changing the perspective of your comment sounding like your suggesting any 850w will do.

if ANY 750w PSU would do, and they were all the same I wouldn't have spent nearly £120 on my Corsair HX750 when I could have a bargain basement 750w for a third that price. There is a huge difference between a cheap PSU, and a properly made, and properly protected PSU.

In my case, I make good judgement in the 7 year warranty my PSU carries... Says a lot about the components quality and engineering in my opinion.

Even the best PSU's do fail, but the worst thing you can do is power your latest (and very expensive) PC build from a PSU that could for all you know be spiking all over the shot, or not even able to power your devices correctly, and thats before you then crank up the power to such a point it blows taking your entire build with it.

Its been said many times, but the PSU is the most forgotten, and most crucial component in any build. Get that wrong, and you risk losing everything when it fails.

Given the specification above I would recommend the Corsair HX750, or the HX850. 750w is plenty good enough for even Crossfired HD6870's (e.g. 2 of them), and there is absolutely no need (as others have said before me) to go the 1000w+ route.

I purchased my Corsair HX750 at the time because I wanted to either crossfire 2x HD6870's, or SLI 2x GTX460 1GB graphic cards. This PSU is capable of doing both those with some power to spare. It will handle one absolutely fine!

Click this link to see the power demands of GPU's to give you an idea and you'll see why 750w is plenty for CF HD6870's.

Also, is a 'Raptor really neccessary? Maybe a better solution could be SSD and a big capacity hard disk like the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard disk which is blistering fast and offers plenty of storage. You can run the OS from the SSD (at warp speed), and the games from the Samsung mechanical disk.

For what you intend to spend, this PSU is a better choice. You can also save some more on it with the OCZPSUMarch promo code. (valid till 3/27)

Also, I higly recommend a triple-channel kit and, as recommend above, an SSD + 7200RPM HDD (I highly recommend the Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB as well) combo instead of the Velociraptor.

As I say to any new rig builder, don't forget a nice big pack of cable ties. Cable management doesn't happen on its own.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the Velociraptor. I've got one myself. You'd be much better off getting three or four Caviar Blue or Blacks and RAIDing them together.

And Kingpin had a pretty neat brand of PSU's - but something big happened a while ago, so I don't really know if they still offer PSU's.
I agree - bad advice. Tell that to the many motherboards fried out because of a bad or cheap power supply. One area a builder should NEVER scrimp on is a quality PSU. And brand name doesn't necessarily mean quality. Read the reviews. I have had what I thought was a good brand name go bad almost a month out of the box.

Ok NOW!

Wow there is some great replies on here thank you all!! If you dont know im a complete newb when it comes to this type of stuff im learning as i go, Im in the Air Force and i would like to do this to save a bit of money than buying a really over priced alian ware lol

Here is a website i found: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc-q4-2010/

I was thinking about the Teir two and if you all could help me out with better choices for each part.

Lets build the best computer that gives me bang for the buck. I dont mind spending 1000 but if possible Teir 2 offers 625! haha

In my honest opinion...

Check out our PC Buying Guide, particular the Entry Level PC Build. It'll give you just over $100 to put towards a stronger graphics card, like a HD6870 for example.

The build above, and the subsequent responses and recommendations are very good though.

In that case, I'd recommend the following build:
Grand Total = ~$975, including shipping but not rebates. Cosidering the rebates would probably bring it down to around $900. I leave the optical drive upto you. Also, if you are not gaming at too high a resolution, you can drop down to a GTX 460; it will shave off $50 from the budget right away. Also, you can also grab this PSU if you do decide to go that way, to save some more cash.

Good luck; I hope I helped. :)

Back