Win XP/Celeron D problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope I got the correct forum for my problem.

Here goes, I had to replace my AMD cpu with a Celeron D 356 on a Jetway P4M2PRO mobo, with 1 gig of DDR2 RAM. When I got everything put together, naturally, I had to "reinstall" Windows. In order to keep from losing everything, I did a "repair" re-installation.

The problem I've run into is this, everything works (sort of) under SP1, but after I install SP2, and reboot, the system does a constant reboot. This starts at the very beginning of the Windows Logo window. In can press F8, and get into Safe mode, but that's it. Currently, I've reinstalled for about the 5th time, and I am sitting with SP1, not SP2 right now.

Other problems, I can't install any printers, nor does my system see any printers. One of the messages that pops up about the spool service that it shuts down, takes me to a MS window telling me that this is a problem with SP2 upgrades, and that there is a fix for it. Again, I'm running SP1, not 2 right now.

I'm just at my wits end. I'm wondering if there's a newer version of SP2 (I know, not likely, that would be SP3) or some other conflict I don't know about.

Doing a "Repair" job after changing hardware is kinda flakey. You would be better off backing up your data, then do a clean format.

I was afraid someone would suggest something like that. The only thing I hate about that, nothing is ever the same again. Now I gotta go find all my installation disks. Oh well. :sigh:

Sorry to break the news to you, but any tech that has transfered a hard drive from one pc to another with completely different hardware can be troublesome. But in the long run it will be better for you.

Yup, I figured. I was just hoping. I've since done a clean install, without a reformat, so my data is all there, except for a few pictures that mysteriously disappeared. But it's running well now, with SP2 installed. I'm slowly rebuilding it back to nearly what it was before.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back