Window 7 Freezes During "Windows Startup" Screen

Setfree

If this is the wrong category, please move it if need be. At answers.microsoft.com the "Answer" that was chosen as a fix, (and I did all the steps listed) only helped for less than a week for me. But the issue is wide spread out there with no permanent fix for me. I am suspecting a video driver issue so I will R&R that. If that does the trick for over a week I will report back. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I do PC repair for a living and Windows 7 machines are the most likely PC to be still still running a spinning HDD. If that is what you have, then that is most likely the problem. I woudl replace an HDD with an SSD. If you already have an SSD then the next most likely problem is RAM. I use Memtest from Passmark to check RAM sticks on all new builds before I install Windows.

I do PC repair for a living and Windows 7 machines are the most likely PC to be still still running a spinning HDD. If that is what you have, then that is most likely the problem. I woudl replace an HDD with an SSD. If you already have an SSD then the next most likely problem is RAM. I use Memtest from Passmark to check RAM sticks on all new builds before I install Windows.
Thanks Kshipper. R&R of vid driver did not resolve. I disconnected my usb mouse before boot and so far no freezing. Planning on flashing BIOS, but will look into RAM & HDD issue as well.

Thanks Kshipper. R&R of vid driver did not resolve. I disconnected my usb mouse before boot and so far no freezing. Planning on flashing BIOS, but will look into RAM & HDD issue as well.
It's not impossible that the mouse itself is bad. I chased my own tail for a couple of hours one night with that issue. I'd plug the mouse in, and it would take out the driver. On reboot, the driver of course, reinstalled itself. It worked for a bit, then quit again.

I plugged a known good mouse in, along with the bad one, same symptoms, So the bad one still took out the driver affecting both.

As an alternative to flashing the BIOS, another mouse is at least worth a shot.

FWIW, I'd put off flashing the BIOS, until after all else fails.

First, I think I'd just put a DIMM in the "only boots from here slot". If no good, cycle through all your RAM sticks one at a time into that position. Then, move onto the drive. Get a clean HDD (or SSD), and install just your OS onto that. Still no joy? Only then would I flash the BIOS.

Oh yes, a bad USB device. I completely forgot that a bad USB device can interrupt booting. I have run into that too (more than once). The fix was replacing the bad USB keyboard. Thanks for reminding me that this is also a possibility. =)

It's not impossible that the mouse itself is bad. I chased my own tail for a couple of hours one night with that issue. I'd plug the mouse in, and it would take out the driver. On reboot, the driver of course, reinstalled itself. It worked for a bit, then quit again.

I plugged a known good mouse in, along with the bad one, same symptoms, So the bad one still took out the driver affecting both.

As an alternative to flashing the BIOS, another mouse is at least worth a shot.

FWIW, I'd put off flashing the BIOS, until after all else fails.

First, I think I'd just put a DIMM in the "only boots from here slot". If no good, cycle through all your RAM sticks one at a time into that position. Then, move onto the drive. Get a clean HDD (or SSD), and install just your OS onto that. Still no joy? Only then would I flash the BIOS.
Tanks a heap captaincranky. I will try a different mouse and move on if needed. Actually I first removed a usb hub b4 boot with no joy. So removing the mouse fixed it with with no freeze. Also I forgot to mention the freeze came in 2 stages: 1st the little lights froze part way then unfroze. The 2nd time the little lights froze and stayed that way. New mouse coming up.
Oh yes, a bad USB device. I completely forgot that a bad USB device can interrupt booting. I have run into that too (more than once). The fix was replacing the bad USB keyboard. Thanks for reminding me that this is also a possibility. =)

Tanks a heap captaincranky. I will try a different mouse and move on if needed. Actually I first removed a usb hub b4 boot with no joy. So removing the mouse fixed it with with no freeze. Also I forgot to mention the freeze came in 2 stages: 1st the little lights froze part way then unfroze. The 2nd time the little lights froze and stayed that way. New mouse coming up.
Found the culprit...bad USB port. Using a different mouse in the same usb port, the little lights froze part way then unfroze (a partial freeze). Using the original mouse (my newest) in a different port, there was no partial freeze; it went directly into the Windows logo. I had a feeling my new mouse was not to blame. I knew there was an issue on one of the 3.0 ports on this ASUS GL771, but that was not the port I was dealing with. Thanks captaincranky and Kshipper! I was wrong about something...Getting a partial freeze on the other port now. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Found the culprit...bad USB port. Using a different mouse in the same usb port, the little lights froze part way then unfroze (a partial freeze). Using the original mouse (my newest) in a different port, there was no partial freeze; it went directly into the Windows logo. I had a feeling my new mouse was not to blame. I knew there was an issue on one of the 3.0 ports on this ASUS GL771, but that was not the port I was dealing with. Thanks captaincranky and Kshipper! I was wrong about something...Getting a partial freeze on the other port now. Back to the drawing board.
memtest86 found no errors. Doing a hard drive test.

It also wouldn't hurt to look through the Event Viewer for anything that pertains to DISK or Paging Error

OK, right out of the gate, Windows 7 does not have USB 3.0 drivers. This is where people trying to install it in later boards, particularly Intel Z-170 and above, failed, Especially in systems with no DVD drive. With a USB (2.0) stick install, Win 7 just stalls at the point it encounters the need for USB 3.0. It can be installed with a PS-2 mouse & Keyboard from DVD. However, most recent boards only have a single port.

I know for a fact that some Gigabyte Z-170 boards w/EUFI BIOS have a setting known as "USB 3.0 hand off". In other words, the board supplies the 3.0 driver until the OS is fully installed, finds the 3.0 driver, and then can be set to "hand off" control of USB 3.0 to the OS.

I know absolutely nothing about your board, it's vintage, or anything else about it. Consider this background information, nothing more.

However IF, you board has the 3.0 driver and has the USB 3.0 hand off function, it could be a simple BIOS / EUFI setting, not a flash..

From DVD, a Windows >repair< reinstall, has worked wonders for me regarding startup issues. However this was for a much earlier machine, I have no clue whether or not it has any relevance in your situation.

Last edited:
Not that I think it's all that reliable, but what is device manager telling you about the board's USB hubs?
Well device manager is showing drivers are loaded no splats for them.
OK, right out of the gate, Windows 7 does not have USB 3.0 drivers. This is where people trying to install it in later boards, particularly Intel Z-170 and above, failed, Especially in systems with no DVD drive. With a USB (2.0) stick install, Win 7 just stalls at the point it encounters the need for USB 3.0. It can be installed with a PS-2 mouse & Keyboard from DVD. However, most recent boards only have a single port.

I know for a fact that some Gigabyte Z-170 boards w/EUFI BIOS have a setting known as "USB 3.0 hand off". In other words, the board supplies the 3.0 driver until the OS is fully installed, finds the 3.0 driver, and then can be set to "hand off" control of USB 3.0 to the OS.

I know absolutely nothing about your board, it's vintage, or anything else about it. Consider this background information, nothing more.

However IF, you board has the 3.0 driver and has the USB 3.0 hand off function, it could be a simple BIOS / EUFI setting, not a flash..

From DVD, a Windows >repair< reinstall, has worked wonders for me regarding startup issues. However this was for a much earlier machine, I have no clue whether or not it has any relevance in your situation.
So far I have not seen that it has UEFI only Legacy. Not having any issues so far with 3.0, fact is I was only using the 2.0's with the mouse. Anyway, the HDD test had no runs, hits or errors. Also no malware. I was going to R&R the cmos battery but...the laptop has to be almost field stripped to get at that battery. Talk about asinine as far as refreshing the BIOS. As long as it's keeping time, I'm leaving it alone for now. So far the issue has not reared it's ugly head.
It also wouldn't hurt to look through the Event Viewer for anything that pertains to DISK or Paging Error
Thanks Kshipper. I did look at Event Viewer right away and found nothing pertinent.

Thanks captaincranky. Can't remember if I said this, but I was only using the mouse on the 2.0 ports, did not try the 3.0's.
Thanks for your responses captaincranky and Kshipper!

Can't remember if I said this, but I was only using the mouse on the 2.0 ports, did not try the 3.0's.
Well, I reviewed the thread, and you said nothing about which USB ports, and AFAIK, you never mentioned it was a laptop either.

If your machine has, (working) USB 3.0 ports, the drivers would have had to be slipstreamed into the restore discs. AFAIK again.

True, you did mention the number of the machine (board?) The only suggestions I've been making refer to desktops, and home built desktops at that.

So, I run into a bad or physically damaged USB port, I simply stuff a hub into the floppy drive bay, plug into the front USB of the board and party on.You obviously can't do that.

As for taking the CMOS battery out for a reset, be prepared for the fact the clock will reset to the time of the machine's manufacture. No biggie but.

Do you even have a discreet Windows disc with the machine, or do you have "restore discs?

Well, I reviewed the thread, and you said nothing about which USB ports, and AFAIK, you never mentioned it was a laptop either.

If your machine has, (working) USB 3.0 ports, the drivers would have had to be slipstreamed into the restore discs. AFAIK again.

True, you did mention the number of the machine (board?) The only suggestions I've been making refer to desktops, and home built desktops at that.

So, I run into a bad or physically damaged USB port, I simply stuff a hub into the floppy drive bay, plug into the front USB of the board and party on.You obviously can't do that.

As for taking the CMOS battery out for a reset, be prepared for the fact the clock will reset to the time of the machine's manufacture. No biggie but.

Do you even have a discreet Windows disc with the machine, or do you have "restore discs?
Sorry captaincranky for not saying it's a laptop. It's an Asus GL771JM 2014 vintage laptop. No original discs but, I have disks for restore. I have 3.0 USB drivers that have no issues in device manager. In fact, I am using the 3.0 port for the mouse and no freezing. I understand about replacing cmos batteries and issues they can cause. I have been working with PC's since 1996 and have done tech support for Gateway & Dell. But I know many out there like you perhaps, have more experience than me. That's why I joined Techspot, not only for that but also for the comradery. Thanks again for your help captaincranky. Have a good day.

Back