Windows 10 OS not starting

Hi. I have a Windows 10 Education edition OS. Recently, out of no where, I was playing a game of League of Legends and the computer just switched off. The light stays on for power, which is weird and I can hear the fan. The monitor then goes completely black and the power on the monitor slowly flashes. The thing is, there is a signal going to the monitor because if I take the HDMI cord or DVI cord out (I've tried both) the "no signal" sign comes on the monitor.

I have been able to reset the windows to no avail. I run the OS on a SSD. Tried it in safe mode but everytime I get in it goes into this weird black screen, power on state.

Im sorry if this hardware is not completely accurate but due to the computers current state I wasnt able to get detailed information about my specs. I opened the tower and cleaned alot of dust. I managed to get this information :

The power supply is Windtech Model: PS 650 TM
Crucial 120 SSD (with the OS on it)
2TB WD Green HDD
Intel 397378-001
And I got 16 GB of ram (Kingston is the brand) (4gb+4gb+4gb4gb)
The motherboard is the Gigabye p67a-UD3R-B3
The Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 560 (has a dual fan)
I have an Intel i7

Thank you for any help !

Lots of dust.... clean fans, PSU and heatsinks too. (hold fan when spraying with air)

Possible heat death of a component - likely to possible video card, monitor, psu, motherboard - first get a working system if possible.

Prove monitor works on another system. Prove video card works on another system

Remove all 'extras' - so you only have boot drive, video card, cpu, heatsink, fan, mouse, keyboard, motherboard, PSU and ONE stick of RAM

Visual check ALL fans. Boot?

If not, replace RAM with another stick in another slot - try to boot again.

Proceed with swapping until something works.

Then swap until something specific doesn't work.

Replace that.

Thanks for your reply !

Firstly the monitor works as im running my laptop off it through hdmi currently. I dont know how to test the GPU as I dont have another PC. I know that the Bios works with no problems and the windows 10 startup recovery works with no random shutting off.

I will try booting with on ram plugged in instead of all 4 gb - can I ask what this does ?

And could you explain what you mean by keep swapping until something works ? So you want me to try different rams in different slots ? Are you suggesting the Ram is the problem ?

Thank you

You said "I know that the Bios works with no problems and the windows 10 startup recovery works with no random shutting off." Does that mean you can boot the system and get to the BIOS screen and actually see it? If you can then the problem is not in the video system. If the screen goes black afterwards, it might be a HDD issue - driver corruption.OR a resolution problem where it is trying to do something with the video card that it can't.

I am under the impression that the system does not get to log in Windows and goes into 'black screen' somewhere early in the boot process.

We do not know why, but we do know it is not the monitor.

If we cannot test the video card in another system (it IS the most likely problem location) nor replace it with a known good video card, we are left fumbling around. First priority is to get a system which will POST (power on self test with only a single confirming beep <in most cases>) - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm . Then one which allows you to log into Windows.

Some folks buy a very cheap video card on eBay to use in testing - other folks borrow an old card from a friend who has upgraded.

The problem is figuring out what the problem is. Using a known good and finding it works would identify the replaced component as the issue.

If this is too confusing, then go through the steps in http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000607.htm

Please clarify with detail. What happens when you do a cold start? Do ALL fans spin up? Beeps? POST? Access BIOS? Clean Boot?

Thanks for you reply !

Okay let me clarify. The computer always boots and I can get to the Windows login. When I log in, after like 5-15 seconds the computer screen powers off. I

feel like the monitor is still recieving power because when it goes into this 'black screen' state, there is no sign on the monitor saying 'no signal'. The only time the monitor gets 'no signal' is when I physically remove the DVI cord. This means there is actually some sort of signal coming through but its not actually strong enough ? So its not displaying anything ?

So in short the system does boot into the login screen after the windows logo then when j actually login it fails.

So I opened up the tower and checked fans- the heatsink/cpu fan works okay, the case fan works okay, the Psu fan is working, and the GPU fan does work- alll while the computer is in the black monitor state. At one stage I seen ONE Gpu fan stop whilst the other was woking. After 2 minutes it turned on again. This did not happen repetitivley all the time.

Bios always works. I can enter it with no problem. I cant do a clean boot, because I cant get into windows long enough

Also with POST, I havent been able to fully do this process I will when I get time after work. I do think POST is not failing or being interrupted because it does boot to windows login and allows me to log in ? Correct me if Im wrong ?

I did that and it didnt work actually. In safe mode it also gives me a limited amount of time before it turns off and im unable to do anything. One time it did stay on long enough for me to uninstall the geforce driver and restart.... But unfortunately that didnt work

If SAFE mode gave you some extra working time, try to extend that.

Remove 3 sticks of RAM and the 'storage only' drive and all unnecessary peripherals (CD drive, USB minicam, charger, hub, etc) and try SAFE mode again. If you have an older video card with lower TDP, try that too. < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power >

Objectives:
- check voltages and temperatures first using BIOS
- review errors in Event Viewer
- check voltages and temperatures using a utility to check range of values
- run memtest86 overnight

Just a thought, have you removed and carefully examined video card (you may have to remove shroud - see Youtube for video)... the black screen issue could be heat, especially if the heatsink is loose (I had a card with those silly pushpin things and two got loose - replaced all four pushpins with 1/4x20 nylon nuts and bolts, fresh thermal paste and I was good to go).

Another thought - you said "lots of dust" - take PSU out of case, hold fan to keep it from spinning and blast it clean with canned air - just in case a hidden 'blanket' is causing some kind of thermal fuse to trigger.

If you cannot get the system to give you some working time, then you have to start thinking about borrowing a known good system so you can swap components in and out to confirm they are good.

Back