Windows 10 Pro update to Windows 11 Pro

Hodsocks

Hi guys, hopefully some of you can put me out of my misery, my pc currently runs Windows 10 Pro, windows update has tried several times to update to win 11 but without success. So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my SSD and load Win 11 afresh, however it only just started and gave an error message telling me it doesn't meet the requirements for 11 Pro, this is despite windows 10 telling me it does. I ran the system health check again and it confirms that my pc meets the Windows 11 requirements.
The question I have is why is it telling me it doesn't meet the requirements when I try to install it on a new drive?

Hi, As its a new drive its not formatted at all, I naturally assumed it would be formatted when windows loads.

That is strange. I haven't used this tool, but I'd like a third-party utility to verify the PC meets the requirements for Windows 11:

I don't recommend it since an update from Microsoft might break your Windows 11, but the latest version of Rufus will created a bootable flash drive that will let Windows 11 install on many more PCs:

Hi, As its a new drive its not formatted at all, I naturally assumed it would be formatted when windows loads.
Could you describe the process you followed to install Windows 11? For example, did you fit the new SSD into your PC, and then try to add Win11, whilst still using the old drive and Win10? Or did you remove the old drive completely, then fit the new one and try to install Win11 directly?

Could you describe the process you followed to install Windows 11? For example, did you fit the new SSD into your PC, and then try to add Win11, whilst still using the old drive and Win10? Or did you remove the old drive completely, then fit the new one and try to install Win11 directly?
I replaced the old drive with win 10 and replaced it with the new one, the old drive was 500GB and the new one is 1TB, both Samsung SSD M2.

I ran that checker from Majorgeeks and it confirmed my pc meets minimum requirements.

I replaced the old drive with win 10 and replaced it with the new one, the old drive was 500GB and the new one is 1TB, both Samsung SSD M2.

I ran that checker from Majorgeeks and it confirmed my pc meets minimum requirements.
Does your motherboard have a spare M2 socket? If so, I recommend booting your PC with the old SSD (Win10), with the new SSD in the second M2 socket.

Once fully in Windows, press the Win key + R to get the Run command. Type in diskmgmt.msc and then Enter. In the Disk Management tool, you should see the two drives; right-click on the new SSD, select Initialize Disk, then click on the GBT (GUID Partition Table) option, followed by OK.

That should set up the SSD into the format required for Win11. Shutdown your PC, remove the old SSD and move the new one to the primary M2 socket. If you're using a USB stick to install Win11, insert that first before powering up.

I can certainly format it before I load the software but I have never had to in the past, whenever building a new pc I dont format the drive beforehand I just boot up from a memory stick without any issues.

You're right - it's normally never needed, but it's the only thing I could think of that would have made the Win11 installation bug out with the 'doesn't meet requirements' thing.

I found some info suggesting there is a bug in the media creation tool that is causing the issue I am experiencing. The suggested fix is to download the Windows 11 ISO and then install from that, which I will try and give feedback from this fix.

Hmm, so it's not a bug in the creation tool, then. It would be worth checking the SSD out - follow the steps I mentioned above to get to the Disk Management program (I.e. put both drives into your PC, Win + R, diskmgmt.msc). Could you post a screenshot of what the tool is showing?

Ok, finally got round to setting up the new drive as GPT and formatted it, replaced back in the pc instead of current win 10 drive, booted up with USB stick and sadly yet again I get the message that it does not meet the requirements of Windows 11. During initial booting up to Win 11 it gets as far as selecting the version of Windows 11 I want, I select the Pro version and then it moves to the screen telling me it doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Its certainly got me puzzled as my system more than meets the requirements.

Hmm, that’s very odd. Do you have Secure Boot and TPM enabled, and CMS disabled in the motherboard’s BIOS?

Apologies if you've tried this but how about concentrating on the SSD first. Install Windows 10 on it and fully update. When that is looking good go back to upgrading to W11.

Win 7 best os withouth spyware ransomware from mic ren and soft. metadata are the future. you add youre e-mail and they take info legal unlegally and missuse your and others info. get a fake e.mail virus account

You can install win 10 but it will end oct 2025. no use getting something you get free from a win 7 10 pc laptop arm.
0§.
just reuse vista me 98 se if you not gaming in dx12 games cad making.
even w9x win 3 1 11 can use note pad wordpad freely and print.
ms-dos too.

Last edited:
Neeyik, checked BIOS settings and CSM is turned on, before I try again I will disable it. Tried to disable with Win 10 but giving issues with graphics and EUFI settings for some reason.

Neeyik, checked BIOS settings and CSM is turned on, before I try again I will disable it. Tried to disable with Win 10 but giving issues with graphics and EUFI settings for some reason.
Yeah, CSM needs to be disabled for Windows 11 to be installed. Make sure that’s off and Secure Boot is enabled, then add your new SSD, and Win11 should then install.

Back