Windows 10 will soon use AI to predict the best time to reboot for updates

Polycount

Staff

Whether you love or hate Windows 10, the platform's users almost universally take issue with the way Windows Update functions. If you leave your computer for even a few minutes, Windows may arbitrarily decide it's a good time to update and reboot your machine.

Usually, this is a minor inconvenience at worst. Most updates only take a few minutes to install, and restarts are generally quick on modern machines. However, occasionally, you may have been in the middle of important work or gaming with your friends when you decide to take a short bathroom or coffee break.

Naturally, during those situations, a random reboot can be pretty frustrating. There's good news now, though. Starting with the next Windows 10 semi-annual update, Microsoft plans to implement "machine learning models" to make Windows' automatic rebooting a bit smarter.

...if you leave your computer on overnight, Windows could theoretically detect that and implement important updates while you sleep.

Specifically, the tech will be able to learn your habits and predict when you'll be gone for an extended period of time. To speculate, if you go shopping for a few hours every Friday at 6PM, Windows may start to choose then to restart and apply updates. Alternatively, if you leave your computer on overnight, Windows could theoretically detect that and implement important updates while you sleep.

On the other hand, if you tend to get up several times throughout the day for short walks or snack breaks, Windows may learn to avoid updating during those times.

It'll be a while before the general public gets access to this feature, but Windows Insiders can download the latest Redstone 5 preview build to check it out early.

Permalink to story.

If it doesn't adequately detect rendering processes and open applications with unsaved work, then it's as useless as it always has been. The solution is probably to get more *manual* with the update process, not more *automated*. I know many people dismiss or snooze the more "polite" reboot requests for days, sometimes even months (and on occasion I've done it myself), but this is a matter of convenience. If the reboot notification was a floating, non-closeable window that I had to move around to get anything done, then you can bet I'd reboot at the earliest opportunity, while still being able to safely save my work, especially important long-term renders. An automatic restart should in my view almost never happen, the user should *always* have the final say.

Long time sore point -- disruptive updates. What's wrong with a simple user-scheduled update -- say 0100 -- 0500 or whatever is desired?
You can still do that, as far as I know. This is for people who don't schedule their updates, I imagine (such as myself - can't be bothered, because my computer use schedule is not predictable enough)

Long time sore point -- disruptive updates. What's wrong with a simple user-scheduled update -- say 0100 -- 0500 or whatever is desired?

This is already an option. You can setup a window of "Active Hours" and your computer won't restart during those hours. This is just going a step further for those times when you're using your computer while outside of that time window, or better yet, for those individuals who never go into the settings to configure those options.

If it doesn't adequately detect rendering processes and open applications with unsaved work, then it's as useless as it always has been. The solution is probably to get more *manual* with the update process, not more *automated*. I know many people dismiss or snooze the more "polite" reboot requests for days, sometimes even months (and on occasion I've done it myself), but this is a matter of convenience. If the reboot notification was a floating, non-closeable window that I had to move around to get anything done, then you can bet I'd reboot at the earliest opportunity, while still being able to safely save my work, especially important long-term renders. An automatic restart should in my view almost never happen, the user should *always* have the final say.

Every thing you just said explains EXACTLY why Microsoft is moving towards an automated approach. If they were to add a floating notification, then everyone would commission and be annoyed.

Last edited:
jobeard already mentioned it in the first post. Let the user decide... Or in the case of shared computers, let the administrator decide.

What jobeard said is already possible. People are prompted to update and restart numenous times before a forced reboot occurs, at least with this other only occur when you're not actively using the machine... Where's the harm in that?

Taking control of updates away from end-users and admins is all about one thing: sneaking as much spyware onto systems as possible. Microsoft is making almost no money off of consumers because their such a cash-burning leviathan. Nearly all their revenue comes from corporate licensing and the cloud so their going to keep trying to monetize consumers even if ultimately drives them away. They WILL keep pushing as much spying into their products as possible..they've watched Google become astoundingly rich this way. Google even engaged in Microsoft-style monopoly tactics by cutting off their app store to any Android VAR who didn't bundle Google's whole ecosystem into their products. Forget the fact that Microsoft has been doing this on every version of Windows since forever - there are no versions that don't include IE or Edge, only ones that provide alternative browser options. Every version of Windows 10 sends back encrypted data that we know isn't telemetry-related but which Microsoft refuses to explain, citing "proprietary technology" and so on. These data mongers will happily take the punishments, too. Even a billion dollar judgement isn't all that damaging - companies don't worry about losing less than 10% of their annual revenue if being unethical massively boosts their bottom lines. Microsoft is probably looking forward to being called into the courtroom like they were in the "good ol' days" to pay their monopoly tax.

Last edited:
I cant wait for it to be revealed that this AI is being used to collect user's data and deliver ads or something equally ridiculous.
jobeard already mentioned it in the first post. Let the user decide... Or in the case of shared computers, let the administrator decide.

What jobeard said is already possible. People are prompted to update and restart numenous times before a forced reboot occurs, at least with this other only occur when you're not actively using the machine... Where's the harm in that?
Because what is determining when the computer is "not actively used"? AI seems to think bushes are people, screws up simple google searches, and MS's last AI was influenced by 4chan like a 5 year old.

MS also seems to think that things like games, streamed videos, and rendering programs do not count as active use. Why would their AI be any smarter?

The simple solution is: let the user decide. This worked for 15 years. There is no reason you need an AI to make these decisions for you. This is just like the qualcomm chip that helped increase battery life with "active management" and tons of firmware instead of putting in a 300MaH bigger battery. A needlessly complicated solution that will be prone to problems and inevitably develop bugs.

You know who knows when their machine is "in active use"? The user sitting in front of it, using it. MS shouldnt be involved with determining when the machine will update.

Last edited:
I'm forced to use Win 10 at work and I can confirm all my previous fears that it's still a crap beta OS, some 3 years after its debut.
MS AI will not run off Your PC, It will be sending Your data to their servers for analysis and data mining and selling it.

You can still do that, as far as I know. This is for people who don't schedule their updates, I imagine (such as myself - can't be bothered, because my computer use schedule is not predictable enough)
I used to schedule updates on one of my Windoze 10 machines until one of the updates made my computer unusable and I had to restore an image backup to get it running again. No more scheduled updates for me.

Since this particular PC is running Pro, I went into the policy editor and turned off automatic updates. I have not updated in over a year, and I have no problems. I do, however, get updates for virus definitions, and the two apps that I have on the PC, Hulu and Netflix.

If I update, I hear that the latest versions no longer honor the no updates setting in the group policy editor. However, I did update a laptop that is running home. I had specifically disabled the Windows Update service, but after the update that I performed manually, it automagically re-enables itself.

However, I found a work-around because my laptop is rarely connected to the internet, and when I do connect, the update process takes over everything, and I cannot use the computer for minutes to hours. I am sure many have experienced this kind of computer hijacking.

1. Ensure that you are logged in as an administrator.
2. Find services.exe in Windows\System32
3. Right-click, and select Properties
4. Select the security tab and click advanced
5. The owner line should list Trusted Installer - click "Change"
6. Type "Administrators" in the box and click "Check Names" this will bring up the administrator's group
7. Click "OK" and then Apply and ownership is taken away from the "Trusted Installer" and given to all users in the administrators group. You can also type in the name of an administrator user account that has administrative privileges if you wish in step 6 instead of the administrators group. Now close out the properties dialog.
8. Now, hit the windows key and type Services.msc and hit enter. Then sort the list from Z - A.
9. Find "Update Orchestrator Service", right click, select Properties
10. Now stop the service if it is running, and then set Startup Type to "Disabled" and Click OK
11, Stay in the services applet and find "Windows Update", right-click, and select "Properties"
12. Stop the service if it is running and then change Startup Type to "Disabled" and Click OK.

Now here is the important thing for the TS readers who are going to crap all over me for telling everyone how to do this. You will no longer get any updates at all - even virus definitions will not be updated - with both of these services disabled. Even if you go into Windows Update and ask it to check for updates - it will simply give you an error message. But, you have taken back control of your PC.

To get updates when you want them and not when M$ wants to shove them down your throat, you must go back into the properties in the services applet as you did above for both Windows Update and the Update Orchestrator Service and set their startup types to at least Manual or Automatic (Delayed Start) The Update Orchestrator Service will likely then hijack your PC and start an update. If it does not, you can then go into Windows Update and "Check For Updates" and you will then get updates again.

For me, since I am behind a separate firewall running on Linux, updates, especially when they render my PC unable to boot windows or hijack my PC when I am trying to use the internet, are at best a complete PITA at worst, the worst type of virus. IMO, even with this AI crap, I doubt they will get it right because they push out updates far too often, and those updates far too often completely break my PCs. I always do an image backup before I do a manual update.

OK M$ police. Start crapping on me for telling everyone on TS how to take control of their PCs back from your hands.

What we had wasn't broke. Unfortunately Microsoft fixed it. I would suggest update modes. User mode and professional mode. User mode which allows surreptious update downloads with automatic or scheduled installs and low-activity restarts. Professional mode with notifications and manual downloads, installs, manual or scheduled restarts. The majority of people will use user mode, but can switch it to professional if they want.

I used to schedule updates on one of my Windoze 10 machines until one of the updates made my computer unusable and I had to restore an image backup to get it running again. No more scheduled updates for me.

Since this particular PC is running Pro, I went into the policy editor and turned off automatic updates. I have not updated in over a year, and I have no problems. I do, however, get updates for virus definitions, and the two apps that I have on the PC, Hulu and Netflix.

If I update, I hear that the latest versions no longer honor the no updates setting in the group policy editor. However, I did update a laptop that is running home. I had specifically disabled the Windows Update service, but after the update that I performed manually, it automagically re-enables itself.

However, I found a work-around because my laptop is rarely connected to the internet, and when I do connect, the update process takes over everything, and I cannot use the computer for minutes to hours. I am sure many have experienced this kind of computer hijacking.

1. Ensure that you are logged in as an administrator.
2. Find services.exe in Windows\System32

Or the simpler answer is find someone with a personal WSUS server and get your updates from them. Then there is no need to worry if you can update 1 year later as the updates will always be present on that server.

Or the simpler answer is find someone with a personal WSUS server and get your updates from them. Then there is no need to worry if you can update 1 year later as the updates will always be present on that server.
For my home network, I really would not have access to a WSUS server unless I set it up myself.

Regardless of how it is approached, at this point in time, updates for 10 seem to be more problematic rather than helpful for more than just a few users. You can pretty much find most of what I posted above out there because others have done the same thing. I figured out the Update Orchestrator Service for myself, and that seems to be the prime driver of updates on newer releases of 10.
What we had wasn't broke. Unfortunately Microsoft fixed it. I would suggest update modes. User mode and professional mode. User mode which allows surreptious update downloads with automatic or scheduled installs and low-activity restarts. Professional mode with notifications and manual downloads, installs, manual or scheduled restarts. The majority of people will use user mode, but can switch it to professional if they want.
Yes, M$ broke the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it rule." It really does not surprise me. Many years ago, I was reading an article about a software development component in their development tools. I will probably never forget that it said, "At Microsoft, we like to think that we can improve on a standard." And I was thinking, "yeah, right. And break the standard at the same time."

As I see it, M$ is a bit too full of themselves. The way updates are handled right now is to treat every 10 user as if they are computer novices. I would like to send them my laptop and let them try to use it when it is doing updates - which I suspect would also completely annoy the novice user and make them ask WTF? However, I bet that M$ would say something like "so what's the problem???" and "Just don't use it when it is doing updates." That is pretty much what I do is not use it when it is doing updates as I have to set aside sometimes a substantial portion of time to update it.

This sounds like a great way to collect a lot of information on users about what they do on their computers and when they do it, all in the name of making updates easier on users. Windows could, you know, reconfigure how they update systems to be more like Linux, where you can update an OS and software without a reboot, but I guess that's too smart.

AI - Cortana should know when do update the system already. What else can she do for us. Siri on Apple side is really smart as well. I got a free Apple iPad now just playing with Siri she really smart AI, she lacks some odd ways like Okay Google AI has.

Back