Windows 10 won't boot

monton

I attempted to install Ubuntu in a blank unused partition on my C: hard drive. Partition D: . My adventure left me with a computer that won't boot. Computer asks for bootable media. I have pulled the drive and looked at it from my laptop and it appears fully intact.
How can I make the C: drive bootable without losing data. At a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Enter the BIOS and check the boot order of devices so that you know the hard drive is first in line. If that looks OK but no joy reconnect the drive to your laptop and use Mini Tool Partition Magic (free) to wipe the D partition. Be very careful with that. If you manage to get W10 to boot change direction and install a virtual OS within W10. I have set up VMWare Workstation (free) to run XP as guest OS. With that approach you are not going to end up in this situation again. Your W10 host OS will be safe.
Otherwise, it may be necessary to reinstall Windows 10. If you're lucky a repair install may save your data.

Windows 10 will allow you to boot to the command prompt or windows power shell from the recovery console without the need to boot to the desktop. There if you know what you are doing you can find and transfer all of your data files to an external hdd or a flash drive or even an sd, sdhc or sdxc. I suggest you study the command prompt or windows power shell command syntax for file attributes and transferring files from the c drive to and external device. You can boot to the command prompt, then transfer all the files you want to keep and then reinstall windows 10 and then reinstall your applications and data.

Last edited:
You can also boot to the command and delete the partition you created for Ubuntu. You can google how to delete a partition in windows 10 using the command prompt or visit this website for instructions
. Once you have deleted the partition you created for ubuntu you may have things return to normal. If you need instructions to boot to the command prompt you can google how to boot to the command prompt in windows 10.

BTW, please keep techspot readers informed if you decide to do anything and what you do.

1. Restart:
    • Attempt to restart your computer.
  2. Safe Mode:
    • Boot into Safe Mode to troubleshoot potential issues.
  3. Startup Repair:
    • Use Windows Startup Repair to fix startup problems.
  4. Check Disk:
    • Run a disk check using the CHKDSK command.
  5. System Restore:
    • Perform a System Restore to revert to a previous working state.
  6. Boot from Installation Media:
    • Boot from a Windows 10 installation USB/DVD and choose repair options.
  7. Check Hardware:
    • Ensure hardware connections are secure and test for hardware issues.
  8. Last Known Good Configuration:
    • Try booting using the Last Known Good Configuration option.
  9. Reset PC:
    • Use the "Reset this PC" feature to reinstall Windows while keeping your files.

Back