Windows 7 users to receive notifications about end of support date, encouraged to upgrade

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft is about to nag Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10, but this time the company is being a lot less forceful about it. With extended support for the older OS coming to an end in January next year, the Redmond firm will start notifying users about the upcoming date starting next month.

On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 7. The only users to receive extended security updates (ESUs) will be businesses and education customers willing to pay the high prices.

Microsoft says it will start sending out “courtesy reminders” to Windows 7 users in April. Unlike its infamous ‘Upgrade to Windows 10 for free’ campaign, which used tactics so pushy it admitted they were malware-like, the upcoming notifications won’t specifically mention Windows 10. Instead, they will contain a link to microsoft.com/windows7, which offers advice on how to prepare for Windows 7's last days and encourages people to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy a new PC.

Perhaps learning from previous mistakes, Windows 7 users will be able to select “do not remind me again” to prevent the notification from reappearing. Closing the prompt without selecting this option ensures it will be displayed again at some point, though Microsoft said this would only happen a “handful” of times throughout 2019. All notifications will stop when the end of support date arrives in January.

Windows 7 remains the second most popular desktop OS, holding a market share of around 36.9 percent, but the threat of no more ESUs has seen more people make the jump to Windows 10. The newer OS passed 800 million installs recently and is likely to reach the one billion milestone this year.

In other Windows 10 news, the platform is now able to remove automatically any updates that cause boot issues.

Permalink to story.

"Upgrade" to what? If someone's priority is platform stability, the only real W10 upgrade is Enterprise LTSC which MS makes intentionally unavailable for most consumers & small businesses even though that's precisely the version they've wanted all along... All MS has to do is release say a W10 Ultimate version based on LTSC, no Cortana, no app store, base level Telemetry, no unwanted compulsory "feature" updates complete with broken drivers and privacy settings reset every 6 months, no "Software as A Service" pushiness with everything else being labelled "legacy", full control over Group Policy, User Experience and Updates (instead of constantly dumbing down Pro until it's barely 1% different to Home), etc - just the "core" W7 OS upgraded to a "core" W10 (eg, adding DX12, newer hardware support, etc), so that using it actually feels like using your own PC and not borrowing someone else's 27" mobile phone - and W7 'luddites' would have probably been the first to upgrade back in 2015...

"Windows 7 remains the most popular desktop OS, holding a market share of around 36.9 percent, which is granted, only the 2nd most prevalent desktop operating system. Windws 10 now eclipses 7 in total copies in use, but only by virtue of Microsoft's heavy and underhanded tactics in forcing users to "upgrade to Windows 10". Bear in mind that 10 is not an actual "upgrade", but merely a continuing string of defective updates, mostly unwanted by users, and causing issues for many".

@midian182 "FIXED" (y) (Y)

Thank god I don't write for this site, eh? :rolleyes:

Considering the wide spread use of computers I think it's time for the laws to keep up with specific benefits to users that decide to stay with a platform after it's obsolesce. I would like to see a law enacted that required companies that choose to under support or end support on software to release the source code into the public domain. That would give new life to software companies that want to sell upgrades and improvements. The law should restrict further "development" of the software into a direct competitor to newer versions, but allow for new modules, add on's, etc. No royalty fee's but treated much like drugs are treated that come into the generic market after patent's have run out. Considering the limited life I think 8-10 years should be a good start point AND the law would specifically prohibit hardware company's from deliberately rendering this software obsolete through design and/or implementation.

Considering the wide spread use of computers I think it's time for the laws to keep up with specific benefits to users that decide to stay with a platform after it's obsolesce. I would like to see a law enacted that required companies that choose to under support or end support on software to release the source code into the public domain. That would give new life to software companies that want to sell upgrades and improvements. The law should restrict further "development" of the software into a direct competitor to newer versions,...[ ]...
Nine of that is really the point of contention for me. What I would like fixed is, that if I choose to continue to use an OS as theoretically as obsolete as XP for example, I shouldn't have to kiss M$'s a** to reactivate it in the event of a reinstall.

"Upgrade" to what? If someone's priority is platform stability, the only real W10 upgrade is Enterprise LTSC which MS makes intentionally unavailable for most consumers & small businesses even though that's precisely the version they've wanted all along... All MS has to do is release say a W10 Ultimate version based on LTSC, no Cortana, no app store, base level Telemetry, no unwanted compulsory "feature" updates complete with broken drivers and privacy settings reset every 6 months, no "Software as A Service" pushiness with everything else being labelled "legacy", full control over Group Policy, User Experience and Updates (instead of constantly dumbing down Pro until it's barely 1% different to Home), etc - just the "core" W7 OS upgraded to a "core" W10 (eg, adding DX12, newer hardware support, etc), so that using it actually feels like using your own PC and not borrowing someone else's 27" mobile phone - and W7 'luddites' would have probably been the first to upgrade back in 2015...

If M$ had released what you describe, I would have upgraded a few months after Win10 originally released.

And if anyone wants another "red-flag" on their MS BS meter as to how "impossible" it was to add DX12 to W7, Microsoft have done just that:-

"After seeing such performance wins for their gamers running DirectX 12 on Windows 10, Blizzard wanted to bring wins to their gamers who remain on Windows 7, where DirectX 12 was not available. At Microsoft, we make every effort to respond to customer feedback, so when we received this feedback from Blizzard and other developers, we decided to act on it. Microsoft is pleased to announce that we have ported the user mode D3D12 runtime to Windows 7. This unblocks developers who want to take full advantage of the latest improvements in D3D12 while still supporting customers on older operating systems. We are currently working with a few other game developers to port their D3D12 games to Windows 7. Please watch out for further announcement."

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/di...arcraft-uses-directx-12-running-on-windows-7/

Unfortunately, if you have an early Windows 7 system with older hardware, you might find yourself in a bit of quagmire after you install Windows 10 and can't find any up to date or working drivers.

I'd love to move my Asus G73JH-A2 to Windows 10, but the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 has terrible issues on Windows 10 with AMD's latest Crimson drivers. So basically, I'm stuck on Windows 7 and forced to use ASUS's vendor specific drivers, which haven't been updated since 2010.

Last edited:
I have been using Linux mint as my daily driver for almost 3 years now, I couldn't be happier. Gaming is a non issue now if you don't mind a few weeks of a steep learning curve, but it's not even that steep anymore. 90% of the time, especially on new games, binaries get downloaded and installed with one mouse click. You don't have to use the command line....unless, of course, you want to :p

"The notification that Microsoft starts pushing out next month won’t specifically mention Windows 10. However, it will mention the cutoff date and a link to the company’s website which offers more detail about the end of support."

There's nothing at all wrong with this notification, but you seem to feel to try and make it into something negative with how you've chosen to word your article. How is is telling a user that come in the end of the start of 2020 your OS won't receive any security patches "nagging" users?

Every time I hear a fanboi tell me windows 10 is the best windows ever I truly wonder what they are smoking. Windows 10 is the biggest POS I have ever used. I just upgraded several laptops to win 7 from its windows 10 prison.

Just cause you can upgrade from 7 to 10 doesn't mean you should. If you hardware is too old, its time for a new computer anyways.

Last edited:
Every time I hear a fanboi tell me windows 10 is the best windows ever I truly wonder what they are smoking. Windows 10 is the biggest POS I have ever used. I just upgraded several laptops to win 7 from its windows 10 prison.
Every time I hear someone cry about windows 10 tells me they don't know crap about computers or windows.

If people don't like windows, there are alternatives, try one. When you are back using windows, stop freakin crying.

I have been using Linux mint as my daily driver for almost 3 years now, I couldn't be happier. Gaming is a non issue now if you don't mind a few weeks of a steep learning curve, but it's not even that steep anymore. 90% of the time, especially on new games, binaries get downloaded and installed with one mouse click. You don't have to use the command line....unless, of course, you want to :p
Most aren't supported not sure what you talking about. Sure some are but most aren't. We all know this already as tons of people would have switched over, which is not the case. Linux wont be a viable option for awhile, if ever when it comes to gaming.

And if anyone wants another "red-flag" on their MS BS meter as to how "impossible" it was to add DX12 to W7, Microsoft have done just that:-

"After seeing such performance wins for their gamers running DirectX 12 on Windows 10, Blizzard wanted to bring wins to their gamers who remain on Windows 7, where DirectX 12 was not available. At Microsoft, we make every effort to respond to customer feedback, so when we received this feedback from Blizzard and other developers, we decided to act on it. Microsoft is pleased to announce that we have ported the user mode D3D12 runtime to Windows 7. This unblocks developers who want to take full advantage of the latest improvements in D3D12 while still supporting customers on older operating systems. We are currently working with a few other game developers to port their D3D12 games to Windows 7. Please watch out for further announcement."

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/di...arcraft-uses-directx-12-running-on-windows-7/
This isn't being done for windows 7 users per say but more for China. China has one if not the biggest windows 7 user base. It also has a big WoW player base. MS knows all this. Nvidia have been behind some of this also.
This isn't something that is just being done for the sake of things, there are some big reasons and money behind all of this.

In the end this isn't meant for everyone, mainly for China and a few other countries.
The US, EU and others will all be asked to switch willing or eventually forcibly. Windows 7 to 10 is coming, like it or not.

Most aren't supported not sure what you talking about. Sure some are but most aren't. We all know this already as tons of people would have switched over, which is not the case. Linux wont be a viable option for awhile, if ever when it comes to gaming.
First off, please try to combine your posts into one, it just makes it keeps the forums clean.

Secondly, there is more than just WINE for gaming on Linux now-a-days. I think you'd be impressed by howfar Linux has been able to streamline the process.

Further, there are many unofficial clients that run natively on Linux. I'm not saying it's all cocaine and butterflies, but it doesn't take nearly as much work as it used to. Sometimes I think it's easier to install stuff using the terminal. I can often download, unpack and install a game in a single line. More often than not, I can Google my issue, find a forum post and just copy and paste the line of code in the terminal.

Last edited:
First off, please try to combine your posts into one, it just makes it keeps the forums clean.

Secondly, there is more than just WINE for gaming on Linux now-a-days. I think you'd be impressed by howfar Linux has been able to streamline the process.

Further, there are many unofficial clients that run natively on Linux. I'm not saying it's all cocaine and butterflies, but it doesn't take nearly as much work as it used to. Sometimes I think it's easier to install stuff using the terminal. I can often download, unpack and install a game in a single line. More often than not, I can Google my issue, find a forum post and just copy and paste the line of code in the terminal.
First, I replied to others not as a whole so my posts are just fine thanks. So no clue what you are going on about.

If you think Linux can handle any modern gaming just fine, goodluck in believing that. Also you'd be seeing a lot of people use it, oh wait you don't. Probably cause the devs could careless about Linux or any other OS.

Unofficial clients of what, crap games that no one cares about or once again a game that a dev no longer supports or simply doesnt support to begin with.
Wake up from that dreamland, Linux isn't even competing or even having any affect on gaming.

First, I replied to others not as a whole so my posts are just fine thanks. So no clue what you are going on about.

If you think Linux can handle any modern gaming just fine, goodluck in believing that. Also you'd be seeing a lot of people use it, oh wait you don't. Probably cause the devs could careless about Linux or any other OS.

Unofficial clients of what, crap games that no one cares about or once again a game that a dev no longer supports or simply doesnt support to begin with.
Wake up from that dreamland, Linux isn't even competing or even having any affect on gaming.
Doom, eve online, civ 5&6. Basically any game that uses Java or open GL. Any unreal or unity game can be made to run on Linux very easily. I have gotten crysis 3 to run on wine, but with a noticeable performance hit.

Also, you can very easily merge all those comments into one with copy and pasting. I guess you're frustration with Linux comes from your inability to copy and paste....

Every time I hear someone cry about windows 10 tells me they don't know crap about computers or windows.

If people don't like windows, there are alternatives, try one. When you are back using windows, stop freakin crying.
My first computer was a IMSAI 8080 followed by a trash-80 bet you kids dont even know what those are without googling it. Stick to your day job as comedy and bad insults are not your choice. Also when you tell me how great windows 10 is you show how ignorant you are.

My first computer was a IMSAI 8080 followed by a trash-80 bet you kids dont even know what those are without googling it.
...[ ],,,,
I do. I even remember when Radio Shack sold them.(TRS-80).

Stick around a couple more years, and you'll likely run into a sizable chunk of our membership who won't know what "Radio Shack" was, without googling it.:eek:

This isn't being done for windows 7 users per say but more for China.
It doesn't matter who it's being done for, which countries W7 is popular in, or who likes or dislikes what. The point is after MS (and a few fanboys) spent the past 4 years spreading "it simply isn't technically possible" FUD, clearly it is...

It doesn't matter who it's being done for, which countries W7 is popular in, or who likes or dislikes what. The point is after MS (and a few fanboys) spent the past 4 years spreading "it simply isn't technically possible" FUD, clearly it is...
It wasnt genius. MS changed things to make it happen.

Back