Windows 98 Lags

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

I have a problem that i can not seem to overcome. I have a computer that i have just put a new motherboard in to fix a recent bios problem. When i put this new motherboard in and installed windows 98 I noticed that the operating system lagged. I already have the latest drivers for my video card. In windows media player when im watching music videos it lags very badly and it never use to with my old motherboards intergrated video card.
why does the computer lag after installing the motherboard and is there anyway i can fix it?
Here are my system specs:

533MHZ Intel Celeron Processor
192MB Ram
4MB S3 Trio 3D/2X AGP 2X Video Card
10GB Seagate ST310014ACE HDD.

Thanks, Nissanman

The new mainboard requires its chipset drivers to be installed in order to work properly.

Check the manufacturer's site, or tell us which mainboard it is.

Its an old mainboard possibly year 2000 it has a VIA Chipset. I know that the model of the mainboard is 370VB im just not too sure of the brand. DCS i think.

perhaps you could reduce some of the running processes, and get as low as possible and maybe do a defrag too. could help
i have just been looking at all your posts, and it seem you've been having a bad time of it.

have you scanned for adware? if not GO HERE

Cutting back on processes and defraging didnt seem to do much either. Are their any registry tweaks i can do?

Have you checked that the hard disk drives and CD/DVD drives use DMA?

In 98, it's in Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> right-click the drives, and select properties, make sure that the DMA box is checked.

Selecting DMA sped the comp up but it didnt really stop the lag. Could it be due to the card overheating? The card has no heatsink or fan on it and it does get quite hot.

You might also have adware, or viruses, which does slow down a computer. Have you tried deleting old files, or running any optimizers? Windows 98 should not lag on that system really at all.

I removed the adware and spyware on the HDD and scanned for viruses and their where none but the computer still lags the same. Is their anyway to stop it from lagging without having to buy a new video card?

Lol, when I saw the name of this thread I said to myself "Is that a problem, or a statement ?" Anyway, do you have any large programs or things running ? Or does Windows just lag when nothing is open ? How long do you wait after a boot to start using it ? I remeber my older computer took about 10 minutes to boot up, before I could do anything. Good luck m8... :p

I have a few programs running but windows lags even when nothing is running. After boot i usually have to wait 4 or 5 mins before i start using it otherwise it takes ages to open programs. Also when i close a window it doesnt just disappear it scrolls out of veiw. Sometimes at a slow frame rate.

I might have to save up and get a new video card the only problem is my agp slot is a 2X. I have heard that a 4X card will work in a 2X slot, is this true?

The last time i flashed my bios i had to replace my motherboard i dont really want to risk that again. But is it really true that a 4X Video Card works in a 2X AGP Socket?

I'm just wondering...how would a video card speed up your applications? It wouldn't; only in games.

Windows runs fast but the graphics are really jittery. So i need to know if a 4X Video Card will work properly in a 2X Slot so i can get a newer faster card. A new video card wont make my applications run faster but it will stop them from lagging.

Some cards work, some don't. Some don't even physically fit into 2x AGP slot.

I'd say if the card fits, it should work.

Most Nvidia cards I've used have worked in every AGP slot I've tried (1x - 8x).

Does anyone know if a 4X AGP Card will fit in a 2X Slot? I really want to know.
Thanks, Nissanman

A 4X card will work in a 2X slot.

I've has a 8X card in a 1X slot and it worked fine.

By the way try using Omega drivers instead of nVIDIA ones. They often work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back