Windows Explorer failing... and other issues

Hello,

I am new to these forums, but I saw the level of expertise that was given in other post and wanted to give it a try. Recently my computer started acting weird and it got worse and worse. Now whenever I log on the computer I have about a 5 sec window until windows explorer fails. Once it fails the computer becomes unresponsive.

I can't log onto the net. I can't even get into the task manager because as soon as I hit ctrl+alt+del I get a message that says Preparing security options. Sometimes that message goes away and I can click on the button that says: Start task manager - when I do that though the task manager window opens and then immediately goes to not responding. So now I'm at a lose of what to do and I was hoping I might find some help among fellow computer brains. I appreciate the help.

I actually can't the computer I have was given to me by an old professor to help me get through school so I honestly have no idea what he did with the disk. Not to mention he's on the east coast now and I'm on the west coast. The operating system on the computer is Windows 7 and if I hit F8 I can get to the recovery options page. But safe mode is out of the question. It's just as messed up as if I started the computer normally.

Do you get a "Windows is not Activated" message? You should have Googled the China province time. Can you perform a start up repair. Is the computer's time and date correct?

No I don't get the Windows is not Activated message. And the time on the computer is correct. I can preform a start up repair and I did, but it did not work.

Sorry about the China thing it was for another post. Similar problem though. The hard drive may have failed with bad sectors or something else like a failed SMART status

Back