Windows Explorer has stopped working

BlazinGhost

I'm getting this error every time I right click on my desktop, it says, Windows Explorer has stopped working, then when I click restart the program it restarts my computer. If I just close it on the top right, my screen flashes and it goes back to normal, it gets VERY annoying and it seems like a virus.

Anything I could do?

A few things you can try:
First - Update: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html This program "Shell Ex Viewer" is very useful and helpful in finding a program that could be causing Explorer to be crashing as well.

Do a system restore to before the problem showed up.

Copy a good copy of an explorer.exe file from another system (If you are running windows XP, copy a windows XP one similar for other OS's)

try running system file checker.

Run Command Prompt (If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you must run it in an elevated mode. To do this, right click "cmd" and "Run as Administrator") type "sfc /scannow" And yes, there are 2 N's in the word.

Update Video Drivers.

Try Safe Mode and see if it happens there. If not, you may have to look at what programs/services are on startup that could be causing this issue.

When you open the program, you may notice that some of the programs are coloured slightly different, these are Non-Microsoft shells that are running. You can also sort the list using the "Product Name" colum. Anything with Microsoft / Windows should be fine to be left on.

You can either disable ALL non-microsoft shell extensions and 1 by 1 turn them back on until you notice the problem come back. Or you can just disable 1 at a time and test to see if the problem has been resolved.

It'll take a bit until you find out but you should be able to figure out which one is causing the issue.

Back