Windows File Protection problem..?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey folks. i did a google search and saw a page from this site then thought id ask on this forum for more info so i hope someone can help as im finding this a little worrying...

Windows File Protection:

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unregongnized versions. To maintain systems stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files,

Insert your windows XP professional CD-ROM now.

right so i instert my CD-ROM WinXP Pro Disc. it pops up asking for what i want to do, ya know the usual - do i want to install windows, all the usual stuff from the disc and the Windows File Protection pop up goes. when i take the XP disc out give it a few seconds then the WFP window comes back. iv been getting it for 24 hours now as it first came on this time last night so i am very curious as to the problem.

i dont REALLY want to re-format my hard drive but its all everyone is telling me...:eek: :confused:

for the 1st time a few minutes ago i clicked 'Cancel' as the option from the pop up, it said am i sure i dont want to update these files i clicked yes. that was the last of it but im sure it will return.

any help would be much apriciated folks.

cheers !

you could try just reinstalling windows "a dirty" install if you have that option and it should just restore the missing files. do you have a restore cd or an OEM copy of XP?

what do you mean by OEM copy of XP?

i have 2 xp pro discs and i dont really know what im doing with either. both give the same result - nothing.

the this Windows File Protection pop-up appears the 3 options are 'Retry - More Info - Cancel'

here are screen shots of what each option tells me:

RETRY:
WFP_RETRY.jpg

MORE INFO:
WFP_MORE_INFO.jpg

CANCEL:
WFP_CANCEL.jpg

if i click yes here as i do it still KEEPS coming back...

so this is without me putting the cd rom in the drive, when i do the WFP window goes and the XP boot disc thing comes up asking me what i want to do from that disc...

You could either switch WFP off, or better to just reinstall winxp as an upgrade to your existing install. The second option is preferred.

um....i just tried all those above and it still pops up? anyone have any ideas on how i can get rid of this? its really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back