Windows Media Player won't start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed 'Media Player Classic', a media player that came with hundreds of codecs already installed. I thought it was very good, free software, and I used it for a month without any problems.

But one day I was trying to listen to a live stream off of the internet and it wouldn't play...I opened it with MPC and it kept saying 'Opening...' and nothing happened.

I tried to open Windows Media Player then and it wouldn't open.
So then I figured that MPC must have screwed something up, so I thought that reinstalling WMP might fix it. So I did that, but I still had the same problem, WMP would not start.

Then I thought if I uninstalled MPC and then tried reinstalling WMP that might work...but it didn't.

Does anyone have any idea what I could try next?

PS: One more thing I notice is that when I go to the WMP folder (C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player) I see a exe called 'mplayer2.exe' and it has the icon that Media Player Classic used to have. Maybe MPC is not completely uninstalled?

Thanks for help.

Media Player Classic has nothing to do with Windows Media Player. It is a seperate alternative player for Quicktime, WMP, etc. If opening a file right-click and select "open with" whatever you choose. Also check your default settings preferences.

kpo, I've tried doing it like that (Open with... 'Windows Media Player') but the same thing happens when I open a music file, Media Player just doesn't open.

I have this program called 'Process Explorer', it's a better task manager. When I try opening WMP, on Process Explorer I see wmplayer.exe execute, but then about 5 seconds later it closes. I don't see a window or anything.

Char_X, I said that I reinstalled Windows Media Player many times. I don't think any extra codecs other than the default ones come with a clean install of Media player.

Name the website that won't play and i'll test it.
I have an idea it needs something installed like Real Player.Theres no guarantee that any 1 player plays all internet audio.Each can have only 1 that you probably don't have installed.Also don't use a popup stopper there.
So Media Player Classic is not a do it all player.
I hope your not refering to Windows Media Player.It has no "Classic version"
You also might need a plug in and don't go overboard about codecs.

NO NO NO...
I guess you only read the first part of my first post. Thanks for the info though.

The problem isn't that I can't play a file, the problem is that Windows Media Player doesn't want to start at all.

I'm just wondering if this is a common bug or something that has happened with other people, and if so how can I fix it?

Now where almost getting somewhere.

iwin2000 said:
NO NO NO...
I guess you only read the first part of my first post. Thanks for the info though.

The problem isn't that I can't play a file, the problem is that Windows Media Player doesn't want to start at all.

I'm just wondering if this is a common bug or something that has happened with other people, and if so how can I fix it?

Why the term Classic was used i don't understand.So that kind of confused
things.But why have you not posted "what doesn't play" and where like i asked ?
I'm willing to try playing whats there and see play options in order to compare results.
What version of WMP do you have ?
Isn't that enough for now.Give me the website where this happens so i can see if my WMP starts.
This is your reason for posting isn't it;Quote :
But one day I was trying to listen to a live stream off of the internet and it wouldn't play...I opened it with MPC and it kept saying 'Opening...' and nothing happened.
================
I don't know what MPC means.:D

MPC is just an abbreviation for Media Player Classic...

Nevermind. I'm really stupid. I never reboot my computer, and I guess that is all it needed. Problem fixed. It starts normal now. :p

Thanks for the help though. Good community here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back