Windows Media Technologies Not Compatible With This Version of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I uninstalled Windows Media Player 10 because it wasn't working right and tried to reinstall it. I think I screwed something up because now I get the message " This Windows Media Technology not compatible with this version of Windows." I have Windows XP Home. Can anybody help. I have no clue what to do next. Thanks.

Try unistalling windows media player itself under the Windows components in add/remove programs. Aftter this is done reinstall it and see what happens

At this point I have no WMP in my program list. I removed it previously. When I did, I think I may have accidentally removed something else which it requires. I really don't know. As I said when I try to download WMP 10, or 11, now, I get the message that this windows technology is not compatible with my version of windows. Of course this cannot be true, since I have Windows XP, and I have had the media player installed as recently as yesterday.

I was able to resolve my problem. I copied the error message and did a search for the exact text, which got me to a page in Microsoft Support. It turns out that you can get that message when you try to install Windows Media Player 10 on an XP Service Pack 2 based computer. I had to copy a file from the Service pack folder to the System32 folder and I was ready to go.

dugan649 said:
I was able to resolve my problem. I copied the error message and did a search for the exact text, which got me to a page in Microsoft Support. It turns out that you can get that message when you try to install Windows Media Player 10 on an XP Service Pack 2 based computer. I had to copy a file from the Service pack folder to the System32 folder and I was ready to go.
What file have you copied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back