Windows Phone 8.1 reportedly adding a Notification Center and Siri-like personal assistant

Justin Kahn

windows phone notification center siri-

Microsoft's Windows Phone has met its fair share of criticism since its launch in 2010, along with receiving a number of updates addressing various issues. Today, reports are suggesting that Microsoft has some interesting new features in the works that are said to be coming to the update we currently know as Windows Phone 8.1.

According to the report, the new features will come in the way of a new Notification Center and a much improved personal assistant that is said to rival Apple's Siri. With Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft will introduce its Cortana personal assistant feature, which is said to offer a much deeper and more personalized experience than the current options, as well as making WP8.1 much more competitive with Apple and Google's technology.

The new Notification Center sounds like it will work very similar to its Android and iOS counterparts, users will swipe down from the top of the screen to access it. One difference is that it will include short and long swipe functionality to bring up quick settings and notification history respectively.

Today's reports also mention a few other bits of information about the upcoming WP8.1 update including seperate volume control for media playback and ringtones. Apparently the People Hub will also get enhanced with Facebook and Twitter support. Beyond that, expect to see separate Xbox Music and Video apps along with new Nokia hardware expected to launch around the same time as WP8.1.

Right now, it is believed that Microsoft will be revealing Windows Phone 8.1 next year in April at the company's BUILD event.

Permalink to story.

This is great news for WP8. If it becomes free like MS is planning, this could make a huge dent in Android and iOS dominance.

It all sounds good, but MS needs to add innovative features that everybody else isn't already doing. The sometimes-live tiles just aren't cutting it.

Extremely excited about WP8.1, can't wait to see what it brings along with MSFT officially taking over Nokia's Devices division in 2014.

I prefer performance and stability.
I don't see what innovative features MS can add to their OS but they can improve what they already have. A file management center is also important and will improve experience. Also more customization possibilities. WP will be able to cut deep into Android market share.
My Lumia 520 is great for it's price. Browsing is lag free, the area where I saw similar priced Android phones having problems.
I hope my phone gets this update. At the end it's the best selling WP8 and it would be stupid for MS to skip it with this update.

Windows phones will never be able to compete since they don't have a File Management center. For those that don't know, this is where you're actually able to browse through the different directories on the phone, see all the files.

A few months ago I actually purchased a Win Phone 8 and after bluethoothing a .zip file into it, I couldn't locate it since there was no File Management system available.

Also!! you can't sync contacts/outlook files directly from your computer!!!! You HAVE to first sync them with THEIR hotmail.com/outlook.com account THEN it syncs to your phone. B...S..

I returned the phone after 4-5 days....and was happy to pay the $35 restocking fee.

The Windows Phone 8.1 was confirmed to have a File Management System among other things.
So the WP will never be able to compete because is way exaggerated.
WP8 is only one year old and has a lot of growth potential.

Back